Friday, October 30, 2015

Friday 30OCT15

Man I wanted to run today.  It was a cool gray day.  Beautiful.  And the calf felt a little better.  But as I have essentially grounded myself from the 21st XC race at this point I felt a little more free to NOT run.  I just need the damn time off.  But I really really wanted to run.  It was one of those days where it would have been so much fun to breathe the cool air and float along.  But if I had it would have been like that for 3 stupid minutes and then I’d be pissed about the calf.  So I didn’t run damn it.

I got an email today.  “On my run today my knee hurt.  What causes that?”  My response was basically that getting old and fat causes that but it could be running shoes too.  Check with your doctor to see if getting old is happening to you.  Side effects may include gray hair, interrupted sleep, rants about kids getting off your lawn, decreased aerobic capacity, pattern recognition, disgust about much current music, loss of hair, growth of hair where it did not otherwise previously grow, lack of flexibility, paranoid feelings about complex covert government plots while at the same time stating the government is completely inept at basic functions and brief spells of clarity of thought.

Or sumthin’ like that …

The universe is telling me something.  Last Friday I was in a meeting where this video was shared. 

Then he was the keynote speaker at the conference I was at last week.  And then AJW is posting about him this AM.  Must be time to order one of his books.  Actually I spoke to Daniel after the keynote, and said I’d buy his book when he got home as I did not want to carry it back and he pushed the soft copy.  I am still a bit preferential to hard backs.  In any case, off to Amazon to pick up a copy of Drive. 

New times … kids get Chromebooks from school.

The species creation thing of all this is pretty cool.

Down to CoS tomorrow with the family to watch the State XC meet.  I am stoked.

2 comments:

  1. I was at the Castle Creek trailhead near Aspen a few years ago, at dawn, when the entire valley erupted in a chorus of mournful wolf-like howls straight out of an Alaska/Yellowstone nature documentary. I was running solo as usual, so it kinda freaked me out.

    I hear a lot of coyotes around here, and I've never heard any of them howl like a wolf. They bark and yelp, mostly.

    I emailed the Pitkin County ranger's office and they said they didn't know of any wolves in the vicinity, but I didn't really buy it. Maybe it was these coyote/wolf hybrids. Yellowstone isn't too far north of here after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have come across coyotes many times, some even pissed as I am getting a bit too close to their den. I don't find them too freaky because I can sense they are usually more on guard than on the attack. Not sure I'd feel that way about a wolf.

      Delete