Friday, January 5, 2018

Friday 05JAN2018

Good evening.

It was pretty cold this AM.  Zero or just under it at the start and as I headed out around the Three Rivers Park point, the wind coming out of the west on the Ohio River had a heck of a bite.  I was well dressed and warm everywhere except my face.  I decided to duck back into the neighborhoods to get away from the open air of the river in hopes that I’d find it a tad warmer there.  I was glad I did.  I saw a climb to the north and found that it furthered into a set of stairs.  This led to another series of stair.  And then a quarter mile away, following the signs, another.  This was the “Fineview Fitness Trail.”  I hope to get back here in warmer temps to get another crack at it. (I did a bit of research and there is actually a five mile race on this stuff in October). (a second take on the course)

Image may contain: people standing, sky, outdoor and nature
Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature
The views from up there are pretty dang good too.Image may contain: sky and outdoor
Image may contain: sky, twilight and outdoor
The pace was slow with the climbs, the cold, and the snow.  Fun though.  I even came across some white tail deer … too quick for me to get on camera though.  8 miles with over a 1000 feet.

Pittsburgh sort of reminds me of Cork, Ireland …with the center river, the big hill sides, the grit of the town, a strong sports emphasis, the brews, the university settings, …  I like them both.  Fun cities.

I traveled back to CO in the late afternoon.  I sort of felt like I was heading to Florida or something given it was 50 degrees warmer there. 

3 comments:

  1. Nice stairs! Crazy steep hills in Pittsburgh. There is a bike race/event that tackles the steepest climbs around the city called the Dirty Dozen, it is completely insane. I used to ride with the founder, Daniel Chew, and in trying to remember the name of this event, found out he crashed his bike and is now paralyzed :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, 0 degrees? Pffft, -100 tonight on Mt. Washington!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff - I was completely thinking of you when I was doing this run and these stairs. If you lived here, you'd crush this event.

    Mount Washington ... worst weather in the world (although I saw -93 in Maine once).

    ReplyDelete