Monday, January 29, 2018

Monday 29JAN2018

Off to DC for a few days.

I have yet to register for it but I am thinking I am a likely for a local 5k this weekend.  On yesterday’s run, Bob, Shad and I went around about what we thought we each could do.  It seems a tall order for me to get that 18:20 5k Bolder Boulder A wave standard, but I don’t think that I am that far off.  I made the statement that if I couldn’t get to that level of fitness that Pikes would be in question.   They called BS on that and made it clear that 18:20 would happen.  Maybe not this race but it would happen.

Yesterday’s 15 and change left me a bit more tired than the long runs I have done over last couple of weeks.  Not crushed but definitely that sort of thing you feel when you are going up the stairs.  That is good.  The key difference in how I felt this week probably is related the quality work I did the day before. 

The run yesterday was flat, and pretty much paved roads.  It has a little bit of rollers in it, but not even 700 feet over the length of the run.  There is one little steep hill we hit on the way out and it was clear that my climbing gears are just not there.  Some of that is general fitness, but I will need to get on some hills as the spring comes about. 

I have posted here before that one can consider the Pikes race as a 5 part problem.  Part 1 – it is a long run.  For the best, it is dang close to a four hour run.  And it is a marathon.  While it is no ultra, it requires attention to a long enduring effort.  Part 2 – it is up.  It climbs 7800 feet.  While the grade varies, it is a 11 something percent average.  Part 3 – it is down.  The down is probably way more damaging than the up.  I am not the only one that has joked that if the double order was reversed, the number of finishers would probably be half of what it is today.  Part 4 – it is a race and it is runable.  I bring this up because to be successful you do need some wheels on some sections.  It is not a hike.  Part 5 – everything else.  I put this as altitude, the weather, the trail, course familiarity, what you eat, pacing, etc. 

To be ready for the race, or at least race well, executing proper management of all five is necessary.  Which in turn means preparation or doing the work is necessary.  Right now, all I am doing is poking at that part 4, and maybe a little of part 1.    That will need to adjust if I am serious.

Evening – 7.1 miles on the Rock Creek Trail
Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature
Image may contain: sky and outdoor

In the evening spent some time at this place that never gets old.
Image may contain: 1 person, standing and wedding

Image may contain: one or more people and people standing

No comments:

Post a Comment