Saturday, July 2, 2011

Saturday 070211

Ah, so nice to be home.

IMG-20110702-00511

AM – 10 miles, Green Mountain.  One lipped man in an ass kissing contest today.  Went Gregory to Ranger to Greenman – so the so called middle route.  I had thought maybe I could dip under 40, and without having checked the log before I left I thought I had done that before.  I was not feeling it while heading up (but that section of Greenman post Ranger is awesome).  When I saw the clock hit 40, I was a bit disappointed and slowed down a bit … well, I probably needed to anyway.  But went up 43:49, which Learned once back here at the homestead is only about a half minute off my best.  Guess I shouldn’t have backed off!  Took the down easy as I was not feeling so hot in the stomach. 

Listened to IMTalk on the way into Boulder and was please to hear Beth and James W named as Age Groupers of the week.

Great podcast interview with Kami Semick.  She hits on the bear at the finish, the sprint finish, MUT and USATF, money in ultras.  Good stuff.

5 comments:

  1. Hooray for pine trees and granite! Yeah I realize that's only part of being home...

    Yikes on the Semick bear story. I've had three encounters in my 5 years here while running: 1 below Shadow Canyon, 1 in the Sawatch, and 1 at Deer Creek Canyon in Littleton. In the latter case I was with my brother in law who was biking uphill behind me, and saw a mother and cub pass behind me. Glad I was ahead of him!

    So in terms of % perceived effort, what do you put into a run like a Green PR? I run at MAF so much I don't even remember truly hard efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about that and I don't know how to describe it. At the beginning it might feel like 70 percent effort. At the end it can feel like 100. Some sections in the middle feel like I could run it any faster even if I was fresh. Others, I could roll much faster but it is a balancing act on that to even the effort out.

    But you will remember pretty quick once you get back at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have gone early (er). I started from Cha at 9:12am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lize - thanks. Many times while in Israel, I find myself feeling guilty as I wished I was here instead. We are definitely in a special place.

    Footfeathers - I was back cracking eggs into the fry pan by then.

    ReplyDelete