Sunday, July 31, 2011

In search of Issac Rulf Street.

I got this email from an aunt of mine (editted a bit)

I saw on FB that you're in Tel Aviv again. I meant to tell you the next time you went there to look for a street named "Isaak (or Isaac) Rulf". The street is named after Dick's great grandfather Isaac who was rather famous in the Zionest movement and who was known as the Rabbi of Memel. Nate and Chandra went to Memel (Lithuania) and Germany (original home of the Rulfs) a few years ago and found out quite a bit about him after a lot of researching -- and found out that there is a street there in Tel Aviv named after him. So: don't go to any trouble but just thought we'd say keep your eyes open (while you're out running) just in case you see Rulf on a street sign and wonder.............

I did a little research and found out a thing or two about Rabbi Rulf. I asked our local contact here if knew of such a street and he quickly referred me to where it was, and so I was able to dial in directions to it from the hotel. I could see it was a very short distance and put it on the radar to get a run over to it and get a few pix for the family.

I got a little turned around running over there but found it within a half an hour. A quite 200 yard street, with a few buildings on it. From there I was able to get some pictures, and a little bit of video. I gave my aunt a call – which is in my mind still crazy: here I am 7000 plus miles from home, calling an aunt from a location that is dedicated to some family member that died over a 100 years ago. And she gets pictures of that a few minutes later! 7 miles … very cool to run with the purpose of finding something.

IMG-20110731-00572IMG-20110731-00570 IMG-20110731-00571 IMG-20110731-00573IMG-20110731-00584 IMG-20110731-00574 IMG-20110731-00575 IMG-20110731-00576 IMG-20110731-00577 IMG-20110731-00578 IMG-20110731-00579 IMG-20110731-00580 IMG-20110731-00581 IMG-20110731-00582 IMG-20110731-00583

Week was 83 miles, about 12 hours and a little less climbing than I wanted (5k plus) but is in the books. Been reading about the training from last August, and I am begining to get a little jazzed even though I seem like I am nowhere near that. July was 333 miles, and the June July total is about 670 (again a bit shy of last year’s 730ish rack up on less days). But – at this point, things are about in the books. 3 weeks and I will start the taper. Again this week will be some turnover, and then when I get back I will do a few climbs for play hard to top off the tank but, as they say, the hay is essentially in the barn now. 2250 on the year. But in any case – the objective now needs to be getting to line healthy. That is a challenge, and one I nearly screwed up last year with a spill on Green ten days out.

While there is a clear difference in what I am physically this year to last year – I think the bigger difference is in my head. Frankly, last year I was confident about it all. I knew I was doing the work. I knew I was able to perform pretty well. I knew that I was the only person who could mess it up. I knew that I did not care about position or where I finished. I can’t say that I know those things nearly as well this year. And I sort of knew that from the finish last year.

Much like last year, I am not sure what shoes I am going to run in. I might need to pick up a new pair of racer STs to destroy.

Just called home and the kids are watching the burro race. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment