AM – 18 miles. I did not get out yesterday (first goose egg in seven weeks?). I had one of those days at work that just got rolling on a few fronts, got home late and then could not sum the motivation to head out into the evening dark and cold. I reconciled that last night by telling myself I would get out this AM. Cold, dark, but a big moon still. Easy easy (AHR 140)
Good stuff from Justin on the other Nick.
Fun stuff. All the graphs you need.
Thank goodness our safety is their priority.
I got this from JV a few days ago but just got to it today. This is awesome. The guy’s commentary makes these vids fun. And crikey … a flipping 4:40 and change mile for a babby jogger mile?
I think when KZ was like 1 I did a baby jogger half mile after a doing a BRR 5k. So here is what I remember about that.
1.) I was pretty worked from the 5k (probably did a sub 17 that day and was pissed off about it).
2.) We decided NOT to actually put kids in the baby jogger because there was a ton of concerned moms running TSA on us (before that existed). Instead we put 25lb sandbags in the jogger.
3.) There were like four dads in the event.
4.) I stepped away from my jogger for a minute and unbeknownst to me, the other (older and more cagey) dads shoved another sandbag in my jogger.
5.) We started and the other guys went HARD off the line and immediately (and by design) boxed me in and then slowed down. Whenever I would try to break out or go around they would aggressively shove me back and in. So we had quite a battle on our hands.
6.) I was yelled at by a mom who did not know me – or that I was legitimately a father – on the first lap: “BOO! You suck! This event is for real fathers! Not guys who are not dads!”
7.) I tried to pass on the inside as we came out of the 2nd curve on the first lap. I got shove, and towards the in field. This put up a gasp in the crowd from several people who thought we pushing real babies because my jogger nearly went ass over tea kettle.
8.) We were getting to come through the first lap in like 80 something because of all these shenanigans. Not fast, but not a total walk either, particularly after a 5k road race. I could see how all this was gonna go down so I regroup quickly after the push into the infield and let it fly on the stretch from 300 to 400. I could hear the other dads talking, “Here he comes!” But then I swung hard and fast outside and sprinted by. They tried to go with me, but I pushed really hard on this to get out and a lead and it work. I probably did that 100 – total guess, but under 14 – which for me is very fast. Especially pushing a jogger.
9.) That said, these dads were still not gonna let me win this without a fight and so they kept coming. So now we are in the bell lap and are GOING. I am going ALL OUT. But being Bolder, so are these dads.
10.) In the last 5 yards, one of the dad, in disgust shoves his baby jogger ahead and lets go of it. It starts to roll ahead of me but I don’t see that its driver has lost contact. I push for the line and probably am a few inches behind. I think we finished somewhere around 2:25.
11.) That effort was WAY WAY WAY harder than the 5k I did. I am seeing starts. Coughing and I head to the rest room and puke. I am so worked that TZ has to drive home.
So that was my one and only baby jogger race.
PM – easy five on the mill. First and last mile at 5%.
But not your only time racing a baby jogger.... ;)
ReplyDeleteThat does not count. You had a two kids in there and no sandbags so I had to not use my whoop ass tactics.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWait, you mean I can't bring my snow globe with me to Phoenix!? I will need to devise a new plan to keep myself entertained now...
ReplyDeleteIf TSA bounces you out, apparently you can run to Phx.
ReplyDeleteWish I'd seen this before having a crappy souveneir snow globe confiscated last month. Instead my son ended up with M&M's from DIA.
ReplyDeleteThe terrorists have won. Confiscating snow globes, strip searching grandmas, making moms drink their own breast milk, throwing away my 3.5oz ( half full) lotion and having to take $hit from some pi$$ant TSA loser who can't make it in the real world all just chaps my a$$. Where is that lotion, oh yeah, in the trash at DIA.
ReplyDelete