Blocked by my work VPN, but otherwise subscribed. I pick Brownie in this contest.
Back in the flats of Broomstock. We bolted down last night, and got through while Kenosha Pass was open (it was closed for a bit because of the winds). After I dropped the family off at the house and unpacked a bit, I headed into the People’s Republic for Rob’s hosting of a viewing of Unbreakable. The movie was good, but it was better to see a bunch of familiar faces. Even though we all know how the movie turns out, it is still pretty amazing to see these guys roll out sub 7 minute pace after 90 miles (and recall that Nick C was pushing sub 6 against KJ).
12 miles. Decent winds out there. Easy. Felt good to start but a bit flat towards the end.
One guy who finds shorter runs to be more effective than longer ones.
Fast 1500 by a 50 year old.
More strength stuff I am kicking around.
I watched Unbreakable again today (after all, being injured, I have the time). Anyway, it's a very good film. It's unfortunate that Nick C. had such a small role in it. He's such a great runner and had an amazing performance that year (and this year, too). I guess you can't include everyone, but it seems Nick was more than worthy of a feature in Unbreakable.
ReplyDeleteWyatt
I was fairly convinced that the showdown between KJ and Clark would pop in there, given that KJ was a featured character of the movie. That said, I can understand how that did not occur given the logistics. No one had any idea that sort of race was going to occur there, and I am sure after a long day of chasing the leaders - JBs focus was then on the finish line, versus several miles up the trail.
ReplyDeleteWell his (DD) profile over there says he has had over 900 injuries. And the picture of himself on his blog looks like his front leg is straight without bend and heel striking. I don't think you have to run long to be a good runner either...but I also think if you're not able to go longer than 8 miles without hurting, something is wrong.
ReplyDeleteYAY! If shorter runs are more efficient, I should have a stellar marathon in a few weeks!!
ReplyDeleteThis wind today was ridiculous! My son tried to climb Mt. Democrat but couldn't even get up a thousand feet before forced to turn around. Maybe this wind will actually produce some much needed snow in the high country!
Watched the movie myself last night and left it feeling inspired, but I'm still too clumsy to run a trail like that quickly and hope to finish in one piece.
ReplyDeleteBrett - DD has certainly had his share of injuries, but he has also put in the miles (over 110,000 lifetime). He is not an ultra guy (anymore), so I think his more frequent (sometimes 3x a day) training makes sense for the 5k, 10k stuff he is doing.
ReplyDeleteJill - take a look at the recent video on JV's blog. He hit 90mph winds on Rosalie. Crazy.
Jim - it is NUTS how effective those guys are towards the finish. Roes was just a monster at the end.
So what is your overall take on the movie...is it worth spending the money to see? (Given that I am about as cheap as you ;) )
ReplyDeleteNick - I think Shad is going to do a showing, so you could check it out there. I am also expecting to pick it up, so you could bring over some of that bread that my wife loves and check it out at my place. :)
ReplyDeleteI missed the first 45 minutes, so I can't judge the whole flick. Frankly, I find most running flicks to be pretty boring. The thing I enjoy about this flick are really subtle things. Two examples ... there is a point where Joe Grant gets word that Geoff has rolled Anton up. The look on his face, while only a half second, is pretty priceless. There is also a point where Geoff looks back after passing Tony, and while his poker face is damn good, he realizes he has a battle on his hands. Good stuff.
There are a few scenes like that (I could go on) where JB has done a good job. So, I will buy it. Essentially, I want to support his work.
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me!
ReplyDeleteI liked Tony's quote while in Colo Springs, I think the 4th day in a row he saw the movie: "it's pretty touch watching yourself get your ass kicked day in and day out."
ReplyDeleteWe could film alternate endings. Heck, even you could win in our filming.
ReplyDelete