Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tuesday 010813

Got out with Bob today over on his mesa.  Yeah, it is his mesa.  We debated a bit who has run it more.  He has run the crap out of it since moving their a few years ago, but I was running it for about a decade when my office was over there.  I can pull completely old school and say I was running it before they went and crusher fined the whole thing. 

Shortly after starting, we ran into Carl K, a guy who I have not chatted with in a bit – so it was good to catch up with him.  Of course, Carl first came rolling by Bob and I – as  were lounging to start at 8 minute something pace (yes, I know it is all relative, but this is a bit pedestrian for us even in our advanced age … although I know under certain conditions it would be quick).  Without thinking we dropped to 7:30 as he went by and then we all ran together at sub 7s for a bit.  Carl kindly slowed for the old men.  I think we might have grumped enough that the next time he sees us, he will run even faster or run in the other direction.

More seriously, the increase in pace … that is the very reason why I need to run with people.  Sometimes. 

For a lot of folks the opposite is true – they run with folks to the point of getting caught up in other people’s runs all the time.  And so, they can end up not running their own workout, or running their easy day not so easy. 

Not so much the case with me:  I run alone 95% of the time.  And unless I am on it, I will easily slip into the the drudgery of slower miles.  Not bad.  But not good day over day over day.  Getting out with folks like Bob periodically will keep me honest. 

And keep me laughing. 

And yes, and even though we were on the ultra flat Davidson Mesa, Bob brought me off the north side a bit to get “at least a 100 feet of climbing” (it notched up to about 500’).  13.5 miles.

Oh yeah, locked my keys in the car.  This was because I was driving the van and I took the Element key off the ring like I do every day when I go for a run.  Then I locked the car and realized I had a different car.  Bob was ready to have me run home and back to retrieve a key but TZ saved me by bringing a key over from Broomstock.

Listening to this podcast from the BBC on how active folks should be for health.  Not really deeply related to running, but interesting from a general public health perspective.

5 comments:

  1. Good thing you shared your glowing post about her a few days ago. Karma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I run alone almost all the time; which probably accounts for my embarrassing pace while training and racing. I really need to join in on some of our local weekend runs.

    I am sure a serious lack of talent has something to do with it also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love running with others and will rarely pass up the opportunity (usually go out of my way to create an opportunity), but it really can impact a workout one way or the other. Typically, I use this as time to catch up, so I feel inclined to chit chat, usually no biggie, but it can really throw off HR, effort, etc... Usually it is just active social time, but occasionally prompts me to push harder than I otherwise might. Some sort of staggered start run based on predicted time motivates me to push the hardest.

    Locking the key in the car, at least you knew where it was vs. having to tear up the whole vehicle and then hire a mechanic to put it back together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff - yes, running with a group can become its own slog. I tend to create that sort of environment on our hill runs.

    Larry - I'd be interested in what you get from running with a group.

    Brett - and without missing a beat, she did it with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you and I always have a lot to chat about, so that becomes the focus. I enjoy that though, since I run by myself more often than not.

    ReplyDelete