Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday 01213

AM - *yawn* – 4.7 miles to wake up predawn.  Easy.

JJ’s article got me thinking and researching a bit.  If I had that stellar PR day, I could crack the top ten times for the marathon at Pikes as a 43 year old (age year ranking).  Along the way, I could probably nab a top 20 Ascent time for that year age.  And a top 20 descent time age.  That is a lot of maybe’s.  My marathon last year ranked 21 for 42 year olds, with 75th ranking on the Ascent (ouch!) and number 16 on the descent.  Anyway … lots to think about in training.

JZ and I got these tonight …

IMG_0393

… but I really want the indoor mile challenge badge from JT.

I am particularly pleased that I have avoided the mill so far this year.  I am not going to totally rule it out, but I am looking to avoid it.  Last year in January, I had 5 runs on it in the month.

PM – up Gregory Ranger - up in the fastest time I have record of, but I am sure I have gone sub 40 but I don’t know when (so it don’t count).   Even so, walked portions (powerline part just past the bridge, the granite slab, some of the big step sections on the south heading part of Ranger before the switchbacks and some of the Elliott stairs). Need to put this one where it belongs for me at some point soon.  Down via Long Canyon to avoid some of the ice and to level things out a bit with it (shallower grade).

Strava has me at 31,650 feet climbed this year.  I go off my Sportracks numbers which are a bit more conservative:  30,015.  In either case, I feel that I am getting some benefit from the climbing.  I am fairly certain that if I could put the right string of days together I could tag my 50k in 30 days project.  Last week with the travel to a sea level location, I got only 2500 and change.  No big deal – that is my lot and so when I go to such locations, I am going to make the best of it (exploring, turn over). 

2 comments:

  1. Nice, if you can PR on Green now, spring/summer is looking good for a sub-40 time! So Sage is at 12:04, can anyone get it to 11 something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing to see that a flying effort on that is a 12 something mile. There are sections where one can really gun, maybe even get under 5 (the stretch at the top of Gregory to the cabin for example is pitched slightly down). The average grade above the cabin however is over 17 percent, with very little under 10 percent. The toughest stuff actually might be just after the second bridge down in Gregory with grades in excess of 30%. Certainly one can move on it, but keeping an average pace less than 12 minutes on that will be pretty tough.

    ReplyDelete