Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thursday 012413

Pikes entry details are up.  The only significant change is tri-folks can’t use run times from IMs or half IMs.  I will be at the keys a’ready come March 1.

Middle route today.  Apparently my best on this route is 43:17 but I need to go back to 2011 to get that.  That is a FAR cry from many who have gone faster.  I can’t find a full segment on Strava for this route out of Gregory, so I might need to create one.   Last year, I managed to muster up a 43:36.

I tend to forget all the splits on these runs, and so I can never really tell if I am ahead of some particular pace or not.  But I knew I did not feel great in the legs from the early go today.  I guess perhaps I was feeling the greater climbing of yesterday.  I glanced at my watch at the 2nd bridge and saw 6:05, and then I recall seeing around 17:30 near the ranger cabin.  I was at 28:30 on the turn back to Green.  I also tend to look at my watch at the creek crossing right near 2 miles and today it was just under 26.  I think I have been under 25 when getting there at points in the past when I am tagging it.  In any case, without knowing the splits like I do now, I knew that my head wanted to get after it but my legs were not having a lot of it.  I really blew up on the upper stretches, walking most of the steps.  46:18 (so Strava thinks the segments that it records on this are my best).  Still, I was satisfied with the effort a day after a larger one (and in part because I think the little patches of snow still slow me down too). 

While a PR is three minutes away, that difference is not as big as it sounds.  It is hard to describe.  There are days you can be out there busting it and it is as if you are fighting the mountain – going nowhere or at least not up much for all the work you are doing.  Then there are other days where you are still working but the times click and you can dig even deeper.  The flats you can pour it on.  The ups hurt but you are riding the line of 2 beats of the heart just like a surfer hitting the perfect wave.  Screw up and you blow it, but you can just ride it a little longer.  The blow up (like I encountered today) does not come until you summit in a sweat and spittle covered tunnel visioned haze of self induced oxygen deprivation and leg muscles screaming for a reprieve (this has a great impact on the college aged ladies at the top … nothing like a middle aged shaved head man with no shirt but a bra strap on sounding like he is about to die as he crests the hill to make them want to get the hell out of there quickly).

It dawned on me  in writing this that I am just assuming I will run faster on this route.  I just need to assume that still.  I mean, I guess there are some PRs that I have that I am fairly certain I won’t beat now that I am older, but these don’t fall into that category.  Yet.  Maybe that is foolish, or short sighted, but I sort of feel that if I concede my best days on climbing Green are behind me, then my best days in climbing Green will be behind me.  No need for that.

16 comments:

  1. I hear you on the PRs. I still don't feel like I've maxed out any of 'em...yet. That said, I didn't really start running until I was in my late 30s, so I'm not chasing times from waaaay back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jim P., I started (tracking) my PRs late, so I've still got plenty to go for. I found the Outside article you posted on Strava interesting, in that cyclists like the KOM, whereas for runners they are trying to incorporate a Course Record strategy. So, Green (depending on the route) is a CR, while there might be some KOM's thrown in (2nd bridge, cabin, etc.). I look at my watch usually once (around 20ish minutes, but always the same spot on a course) to see how that day's run is going, but then I don't look at it again until close to the end. I still believe in listening to one's body and only chasing time for PR attempts (which is not every run).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right - I am not looking to PR every run. But there are days when I feel the need to get after it. If my legs are agreeable, then I go for it. Yesterday they were a little less than agreeable but I nudged the gas a bit anyway for a decent workout. I like to eyeball the splits because it is interesting to me how it plays out ... (going out too fast, picking it up on the end, etc).

      Delete
  3. "...but I sort of feel that if I concede my best days on climbing Green are behind me, then my best days in climbing Green will be behind me. No need for that" That may be your best training of all - mental. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to concede, right? I mean, if we had, we'd not get out of bed.

      Delete
  4. It is only January, don't get too caught up now as to where you are relating to PRs/CRs, Winter is so different in regards to fitness, trail conditions, motivation etc.... Also, unless you are a Tony/Schlarb/Sage/Ricky, these routes take a lot of practice as to how to most optimally pace yourself, where to step, best lines etc.. Sometimes I think I have it dialed, other times I am not so sure.

    I can still PR on most stuff, but those days are less frequent and less predictable. As you stated, some days I feel like I defy gravity, other days I am fighting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of assumed when you said defy gravity you were listening to your Wicked CD again ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eF06fNK3Ng

      Delete
  5. Simple solution - just don't track or be concerned with your PRs ;-) It is just training. Leave the concern about the clock for race day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm ... sort of. I look it as a workout. When preparing for the mile or the 5k, I ran, but then there were workouts that were important. I did not have to hit a PR in that workout each time, or even look to improve each time but over the course of several - seeing improvement was a confidence builder and an effective way to measure the ability to hit the target.

      Delete
    2. I like chasing times now and then in training (especially since I don't race much these days). Gives me the incentive to push. Strava's good that way, too. I've had to take back a couple of KOM spots here and there. Which reminds me, some guy nabbed one of mine on North Table Mountain. Time to dust off the shoes (five weeks...five runs).

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that little note they send you that someone took your CR - particularly when you were just screwing around - is nicely motivatingly annoying.

      Delete
  6. I joined Strava for that Boulder Peaks challenge (somewhat regretably), but find the whole thing to be simultaneously amazing (the technology behind it) and incredibly annoying. Though I admit to tracking my own stats and times, when I was debating whether or not to continue using Strava, I felt that it detracted a certain amount of relaxation, purity and enjoyment from my running. Made me sort of feel like I always had to be "on" so to speak and I can see how it can lead to a constant state of competetiveness. To each their own I guess, we all have our different driving forces and motivations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how it can drive to that sort of nuttiness, but because I can see it ... I can let that go.

      Delete
  7. I created the middle route from my run Sunday, not perfect on the start and stop it seems just using the satellite view but close - it has you at 45:57. http://app.strava.com/segments/3339933

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. That is interesting on the time diff. I wonder if that is because of the last little scramble to the summit (that Strava drops out)?

      Delete