I used to beat Todd in races pretty handily. That has not happened in a long time. He is just faster than he used to be and he is looking to be even faster.
This is gold. Yes, I started it at 4:42 in on purpose to get to the best point that Casey covers over the next three and a half minutes (I also love the deny praise and accept criticism mantra).
Really what Lagat is doing as a 40 year old is pretty insane. Guys lasting for as many years like him and Meb at that level are not just a rarity, but almost unheard of. Consider that Lagat was racing Goucher in college, and Goucher retired nearly a decade ago. And Goucher was one of the best at the time. In his wake are a whole bunch of incredible runners who have long hung up the spikes. Consider that Alan Webb came onto the track scene after Lagat, and has also already retired from it. Anything can happen of course, but Lagat has to be considered a legit contender at this point for the US Oly 5k or 10k squad next year.
Afternoon – 10.4 miles, probably the best run I have had since the run with Nick. Not particularly long or fast but solid. I still have the last remnants of this cold-cough-hack, but I actually felt a little on top of the game. I felt good enough after a couple of miles I moved up into a tempo-like effort with some build on, which was fair enough for sub 7s over some of the local hills. After a few weeks of feeling like crap, it was good to be at least feeling a little strength again.
No comments:
Post a Comment