Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sunday 121612

I was almost giddy with the news.

image

The next trend in minimalism.

10 miles.  A dog jog and a slog.  I felt pretty tapped from the start but got myself out there enough that it became a 10 miler by default.  The series of stomach issues in the midst did not help.  I was just cooked at the end, almost as if I had a hard bonk.  Maybe I did.

44 on the week.  Which was about what I did in pacing Footfeathers at Hardrock.  And of course today was the HR lottery.  Still eyeballing that list to get an idea as to what it means.  I see Homie, Joe Grant, JT in.  Troy Howard is 1 on the wait list in his pool so he ought to get in.

Some history …

This is a great read.

9 comments:

  1. We are Nick's only two FB friends.

    Tough day for Front Rangers trying to get into HR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just accepted your friend requests quickly when I was in the airport so you would stop giving me shit about it...once I figure out how it works I might actually update it.

    There is reasonable front range participation - Scott Jaime, Pete Stevenson, Eric Lee (maybe off the wait list), Chris Gerber, Garrett G. So there should be decent numbers from the front range.

    Didn't mention it on your previous post, but have to consider Jon Olson's run for POY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick - yeah, good point and I should have mentioned it. Jon Olsen's run is pretty damn spectacular. I think his run, along with Morton's however gets dismissed in the ultra community because such "time trials" are not seen as competitive (ala Western).

    I have wondered if with the growth of ultras if we will see more of a draw to the track and road events in the future. They remain a bit of a niche that most have not much interest for in this this family of sport.

    Olson or Morton for POY in my mind but I'd be mildly surprised if either gets it over the WS100 record run or King's JFK run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you that these performances get a bit overshadowed by other (trail) events. Bit of a shame that they do not get the respect they deserve. Would be good to see a few more of the top guys take a stab either a real fast 100 or 24 hr. I feel like everyone should try it at least once just for the experience (though I think twice was enough for me...).

    I don't know if road/track ultras will ever make a real resurgence. Though, I do know that part of the Coury's goal is to try to bring it back a little with some of these competitive type events. Though I think they do recognize that trail racing is much more popular with the masses. Apparently they are putting on a six-day next year - you in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think (hope) that Neal Taylor will get in as well. He's also going for #5.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Six days? No. I have a job for crying out loud. Six days. Sheesh.

    What is the special schwag for the five year finisher (other than going into the special idiot pool)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the sweatshop you work for doesn't give you vacation ? ;-)

      Delete
    2. I am not taking a vacation to run for 144 hours.

      Delete
  7. You get a special jacket and a bag of North Face stuff. The jacket will be cool just to piss off all those other folks who keep trying year after year to get into the race.

    ReplyDelete