Travel chronicle: Started my day at 430 Greenwich time, or 2130 the night before Mountain time. One of my colleagues gave me a short lift over to the local tube station (Hendon Central) and then took a series of trains to the airport, then flew from Heathrow to Detroit from 930 to 1230 (both local times).. Drank a fair amount of coffee on the front end of the overseas flight but skipped all alcohol. No sleeping whatsoever, and really never felt compelled to. Clearly flying the big leg at the front of the day and flying west is just easier for me. Sort of like waking up super early for an all nighter. When looking at the need for an all nighter in college, I never was one to stay up all night. I’d hit the rack, get a few hours of zzzs and wake up earlier to get it on.
Regarding the trains, well yeah, I could have taken a cab. But I opted for the train. Which was actually 4 trains. I dunno. I sort of dig the train system over a cab. I am not wholly sure why. Maybe it is because I feel like I have a bit more authority in where and how I go. Maybe I like all those tunnels connecting too. And this morning, it seemed that it would take me about the same amount of time a cab would anyway.
When I got to Detroit, and through Border Control and Customs, I had some time to kill. A bit more than usual. I took note of the long length of Terminal A and decided to get some jogging in. It was a little challenging with the carry on backpack, but once I got moving that was okay. Supposedly the terminal is a mile long, but I think that might be some outside measurement. I tried to get a measurement on it with a GPS (and/or Strava) but I could not get and hold a signal (airport wireless cells). Anyway, I did 3 full laps and then some, and this took me just over an hour. Calling it six.
Definitely one of the more nutty runs I have done, but I have to say I sort of enjoyed it because of that. It was not so much to run, as much as it was just to move a bit after the overseas flight … and not sit in the lounge eating and drinking and surfing the net.
On the flight I watched Pitch Perfect (kid flick but my daughter has raved about it so I watched it and enjoyed it from her point of view) …True Grit (I really enjoyed this one, it has been a bit since I have seen any western and Bridges is awesome) and Trouble with the Curve (a bit rich in the last 30 minutes, but I enjoy Clint).
Great interview by Joe Grant with Bill B.
Definitely not a cat guy but this one cracked me up
I am a cat guy, especially bowling, and especially if it involves lasers: http://youtu.be/aFztjgfDWDA
ReplyDeleteI spotted Schlarb running in the Denver terminal last year, before he took off on his seemingly permanent vacation. You guys are way dedicated.
Dogs chase the lasers too.
ReplyDeleteYeah, Schlarb ... yeah, that guy deserves a vacation in light of that endless tour he did over in the desert.
I love trains - LOVE THEM! I'd take them all over creation over a cab...but only if someone was there to get me on the right one. I got lost in Boston and had a mild panic attack - and they have a very easy system supposedly (go figure - I have a minor in cartography :)).
ReplyDeleteGreat solid runs this week, well done! :)
Jill - yeah, with four trains (so three connections) I was a bit convinced I'd get lost or something but it worked out.
ReplyDelete