Merry Christmas Eve. And oh yeah, good news is that the days are getting longer.
There were tentative plans for a some folks to get together in Boulder this AM and run up the back side of Flagstaff. I decided against it – in order to remain close to home and with the family. The single digit degree temps helped in the decision. And finally, I could feel the need to get a good effort – so it was off to the garage and the mill. After 2 mile warm up (just under 9, and then about 8:30 – and it takes about 10 minutes for the HR to settle in), I did a transition mile (7:01), and then locked into 6:30s as a tempo run (6:28, 6:30, 6:30, 6:28, 6:21). Quick bio break and then back at it for some strides to finish it off. 11 miles.
This run puts me at over 3600 miles for the year – which is certainly my most ever. To get the arbitrary target of 3650, I need 40 more miles over the next 7 days. Ought to be do-able, but we the holidays and potentially trips to the mountains – whatever! The whole thing is arbitrary because what I call a run others may not. I call a 2 mile jog at 9 minute pace a run. Others won’t unless it is at least five miles at 8 minute pace. Some have more than 3000 miles, but with it being with way more vertical. Some see treadmills as easier running, others see it as harder. Whatever. It is all good – whatever your journey may be. For me, this little number has served as a nice way to keep somewhat focused and consistent as I transition to my next goals and objectives.
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Thursday 122409
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is one freaking solid year, man! Especially for someone who runs but one marathon a year, it is better than many who focus on running multiple marathons per year. It is a testament to consistency, keeping the effort and duration per run appropriate enough to engender improvement while exercising the wisdom to avoid injury. The number is but the end result, the tabulation, the measurement which represents the body of work -- the real goal, as you know, is improved racing and not the numerical measurement of volume. Undoubtedly that will come. Happy Xmas to you and yours!
ReplyDeleteThat's a lot more miles then I did when I first ran Leadville...
ReplyDeleteVery solid. Can't wait to see how 2010 unfolds for the whole "community" small and large alike.
ReplyDeleteRunning is a state of mind.
Thanks for illustrating.
Never a doubt in my mind you'd hit the magic number. Great job getting out there day in day out. It's all about consistency ... I think.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas, GZ! Awesome running this year. You'll rock 2010! Can't wait to read about it.
ReplyDeleteGreat numbers! A perfect example of consistancy and commitment.
ReplyDeleteAndrew - thanks. Merry Christmas to you and hope we cross trails in the "oh one one."
ReplyDeleteBrownie - Leadville is still a possibility, but current thinking is probably to be in Manitou that weekend.
Matt - amen. I have definitely seen an evolution in who I root for in this sport - at current, I am more interested in what Matt or Brownie or Brandon, etc do than any pro.
Nick - umm, yeah ... I think so too.
Bret - thanks man. Hope to get a face to the name soon!
Happy holidays all!!
Your 3650 mile goal is no more arbitrary than any other running goal. What is so special about a 3 hour marathon, an 8 hour 50 miler, running 30 days in a row, etc. To each his own, everything is special to a person...their own individual battle and accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteIf you go outside, run a mile, and then stop, it still counts as running 1 mile.
Whether another considers your effort a run or not is meaningless - you did the effort and put in the consistent work. 190,008,000 feet ain't too shabby (since you like numbers ...)
ReplyDelete"whatever your journey maybe" Amen Georgie! I, for one, hate the TM but feel a greater sense of accomplishment after a workout on it.
ReplyDelete36 freakin' 50 is a ton of myles! Good going! See you at Leadville 2010... you runnin' - me drinkin'
Hope to meet you in 2010
Looks like you had a great year. Like others said, 3600 miles is alot of miles. I will be close to about 3900 or so. Haven't checked the log. I believe that I missed about 400 or so miles of running for days off and stuff like that this year. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you!
ReplyDeleteBrett - thanks. I hear you: it is some construct we create and decide to pursue. A few rare individuals get to pursuit it at the level of AR or WR. For the rest of us, it is the PR - which seems arbitrary. That said ... volume goals seem a bit "more" arbitrary than a time one. And I think that is fine: we are more focused on the end result of racing versus training. I think ... (ref. AA and Nick above).
ReplyDeleteHappy Trails - 190 MILLION feet? Holy crap. Isn't that like 35 thousand something miles? DANG!
FastED - I look to share some miles with you and raise a glass with you in oh one oh. Less sure that I will be at Leadville - as I am leaning a bit more to a return to Manitou (but don't tell her that). By the way, your words of the day are a total crack up.
Rich - it has bugged me that I have not got to meet you other than a blurry glance in 16th place on the way up by No Name Creek. I am strongly considering Oatmeal Fest to change that - still trying to figure out how I get into the bet b/w you and Mock. I have given thought that if I did not miss April (hmmm, side note - I miss a month it seems the last two springs because of some injury), I'd be chasing 4k miles. Your mileage total is kick butt ... how many three digit weeks?
Happy holidays all!!
Crap, sorry - I meant Adam. I should know better than that as I have a last name that is a first name too!
ReplyDeleteSo you will be interested to hear that I only ran 1 triple digit week this year, (last week). I did have a 12 week period where I ran a minimum of 80 miles a week with a high of 96. I just cant handle anything above 90 usually, I just get tired and start running slower then I really like. My racing also goes downhill! Yeah, you are correct about meeting me. I saw you at Barr, but thats it I believe. I think the Oatmeal thing is something like if I beat Justin by 54+ seconds he has to pay for the meal, and if I don't beat him by 54 seconds I have to pay. We will see. Anyways have a good one and merry christmas to you and your family!
ReplyDeleteMy bad - extra zero in there - looked pretty good, eh???
ReplyDeleteRich - I'd like to do that race, and get in on the action - but I am not sure if we are down here or off skiing with the crumb grabbers that weekend.
ReplyDeleteHow'd you guys land on the 54 second spread?
Happy Trails -- 19 million feet is still ALOT! That is life time I assume?
Adam ran 15:46 at Oatmeal last year and I figure I'll be good for my usual 16:40, so 54 second spread. Come on out.
ReplyDeleteSo I did not do this in 09, but posted 17:44 there in 08. I can play this 54 second game by saying I'd be good for 17:36. Yeah, that is slow but it seems to be in the ball park of what I am doing these days.
ReplyDeleteHate to say, but I now can not race!!! I am super mad about not being able to run!!! I get that Capstone is important, but three days in a row is too much. I have to go all evening on the 7th, 8th and all day on the ninth! Now because of this, they have taken away a chance for me to win some money which has me in a foul mood. If you race, I hope it goes well. My friend Andy Rinne will be there. Mabye him and justin can make some kind of bet.
ReplyDeleteCapstone? As in http://www.coloradocollege.edu/servicelearn/CapstoneServiceExperience/
ReplyDelete?
GZ, I'll spot you 50 seconds. 16:40 to 17:30 seems fair - so 50 seconds. Breakfast on the loser. Unsure of the course, but Adam said it's tough, so we both may be over those times.
ReplyDeleteJustin - if I race it, I am in. So the course starts in "downtown Lafayette" and does a brief climb out, a brief drop down in the first 3/4 mile before a long climb out to Waneka Lake / Res. This brings you to just shy of two miles. You get the long return back down to downtown before some rollers to the finish. At least one near 180 in the course near the lake.
ReplyDeleteNo capstone is for student teaching. Its basically sessions where you are with other people in your major area and you get together and talk about how student teaching is going and junk like that. A complete waste of time.
ReplyDelete