Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Wednesday 122309

KZ asked me if I could take her and some friends of hers over to the rec center, so they “could run.”  Umm, you want to run?  Hell ya, I am in.  Of course, they did not want to run with me.   Why in the name of Pikes Peak would I ever imagine 11-12 year old girl-women-creatures would want to run with a hairy old guy like me on an 11 laps to the mile indoor track?  Mind you, they were cordial – they let me run with them for 2 laps, but then after that they gave me verbal and non verbal queues to move on, or better yet, go to the treadmill.  I thought I’d forego the mill and run the indoor track just for something different, but I kept losing count of how many damn laps I had done.  Was that 8?  Or 7?  Crap.  I better be safe and call it 6.  Whoa.  Watch out for the woman skipping in this lane while pushing a triple wide stroller.  And the guy doing the butterfly stroke while walking in  lane 2.  After two miles of that, I retired to the mill and ran easy.  11 miles.  I had to try the program on the mill actually called Pikes Peak.  After a build up, iIt got to a whopping 5% grade and held it for a minute before bringing me back down.  Okay, it is a hill workout, but do you have to call it Pikes Peak?  Can’t you call it some hill on the beach in Rhode Island?

4 comments:

  1. Competitive in XC and on the Peak - and you still make time for your kids and family time - awesome George! Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we lived in Woodland Park, my wife and I had ambitions to have our own little brew pub that had a great view of PP. I wanted to put a couple treadmills in there and after a customer climbed 7,815' they received a free night of brews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Trails - thanks. Hope our trails cross in '010.

    Rick - I would be at your place often establishing bad habits if that were the deal.

    ReplyDelete