Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday 012510

Ran inside today because I am a big wimp and did not want to deal with the wind.  Really.

11 miles.  Progression run.  This is a bit of a challenging workout for me on the mill because I am very tempted to get on the mill and go, go, go.  But to do this workout right, I need to sit for a bit and slowly build the pace.  More mental than physical.  Bob has noted (appropriately) that I tend to play on the mill more than I should (call it ADD if you want).  This helped me with some patience and I got a decent workout out of it anyway.  7:54, 7:33, 7:21, 7:11, 7:00, 6:50, 6:43, 6:32, 6:20, 6:08.  This is a workout I know I can run faster, but one of those ones that I am thinking that – for now – I don’t need to force (particularly on a mill).  I am hoping that this is, as Dieter would say, “good speed.”  Tacked on a cool down mile in 7:08.  76 minutes and change.

image

In yesterday’s run, had a good chat about what my goals are for the year.  I still bounce a bit from miling, to Pikes, to Leadville.  Some good questions raised if I am doing a self imposed choke at Pikes because of my head.  I like to think not, as even years there have been fairly decent for me.  But it is certainly possible. 

JZ forgoing dinner and using my headlamp for painting of his Pinewood Derby car.
P1240189P1240188 P1270198

12 comments:

  1. Rather than increase speed next time you could do the same speeds with an uptick in grade too. Of course it would depend on your goals :) Pikes... increase grade. Mile... increase speed.
    I think you should try to get the fastest mile ever up Pikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim - good stuff. I am also thinking, since I am pretty sure that I will look to go to Mount Washington, to do a run that is at a higher grade but in the same vein. Those grades would be much higher though (12 percent) and so the pace would be much slower. I will admit ... some of it right now is chasing miles versus minutes. What I can get in for 75 minutes at 1.5 percent at this effort is about a little less than 2x what I could get at 12 percent.

    And there have been a lot of conversations about the fastest mile DOWN Pikes and in fact, a descent contest. Guess who's name comes up in that category too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you think you're going to puss out of Pikes Peak by doing Leadville, you've got a nice surprise coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might puss out and do 100 miles on a treadmill

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you attempted that we'd do an intervention.

    I heard the record for coming down the Incline is less than seven minutes, FYI. And it's not Matt C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good workout! Even though I don't get the " treadmill ". So many great races, so little time and money!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea some Nepalese Sherpa I heard has the downhill incline record.

    If you just ran for 20 feet as fast as you can and jumped way out into freefall, you would probably break it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GZ, It will be the first time hitting 2 100 milers so close together. But I train on the trails the races are held on and have raced BR100.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does that headlamp say "princess" on the side!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it is your headlamp :)
    Cool derby car. I hope my boys want to be in the Scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought you were being a smart ass Tim calling me a Princess for being on the mill. I see you were actually being somewhat serious because the name on the band is PrincetonTec.

    ReplyDelete