AM – It snowed last night. Not a lot, but enough to have me decide to avoid the risk of a icy street in the dark. Not as tough as some I guess. Happily took refuge in the garage, 6.5 miles very easy on the mill.
I know we all have the things we like that others look at and scratch their heads at. I am leaving the office building last night and mention to a coworker as we are walking out, “well, looks like snow is coming. Good thing. We need it.” He grins at me and SHOUTS, “WHATEVER. I AM GOING TO LAS VEGAS BABY!!!” I look at him and realize he thinks this is about the best place on the planet a person could go to. I mean there is this crazed look in his eye like he just told me he is going to go to heaven on earth for the weekend. My opinion is that it is about the last place on the planet I’d want to be. Of course, the tables would be turned if I told him, “I AM RUNNING UP PIKES PEAK THIS WEEKEND BABY.” He’d think I am one of them. We all got our thing. What happens on the run, stays on the run I guess.
PM – mill at work. Easy. Started listening to this interview with McMillan and Gotcher. 67 minutes (so just under 8 minute pace). Did not feel like zipping up the pace so kept the effort easy and slowly rolled up incline to 3.5 (not too steep but a little bit of a grade) through the run, and then dropped it back down to 1.5.
Garmin 305 seems to have died again. Not sure if the battery just died on this refurbished model or what (it ain’t waking up off the USB cradle). Worked perfectly well this AM too. This bugs me of course because I have become expectant on that data of distance, pace, elevation – and probably the most interesting is HR. An additional data point that I also track is training stress score … just to see volume of work over time. My side log in Sporttracks (tracking mileage, minutes) gets kind of broken when I am not using the Garmin. Not sure if Garmin will provide another one given this was a refurb replacement. None of this is particularly important. I will just need to fly visually for a bit versus off of instrumentation.
Don't underestimate Vegas. There's actually some pretty sweet trail running west of town in Red Rock Canyon, and the mountains are pretty awesome too. Start with Mt Charleston (12k' and 35 miles out of town) and go from there.
ReplyDeleteOf course, I'm sure that's not what you're colleague is getting excited about, but as you say, we all find our thrills in different places.
Too bad you hadn't seen Mock's blog yet. You could have told him, "don't get too excited, the male prostitues aren't sleeping with dudes."
ReplyDeleteGood point. He could of been saying "I AM GOING TO VEGAS TO SET SOME RUNNING FIRE TO THOSE TRAILS BABY!"
ReplyDeleteGive it time JT. I am sure it will happen.
ReplyDeleteHave you seen Hangover?
ReplyDeleteNo. I don't get out to see a lot of flicks. When I do it is Alvin and the Chipmunks for crying out loud. When me and Mrs. get out for a date, we are not up for a movie ... more for something where we can yap at each other.
ReplyDeleteAlvin and the Chipmunks?!? Well, I guess we all have things like that... :)
ReplyDeletethe benefits of fatherhood.
ReplyDeleteSaw that with my kids too GZ...sigh.
ReplyDeleteRunning with no GPS? Have you gone mad? How could anyone do such a thing? I cannot comprehend.
ReplyDeleteThe Hangover is classic. I don't see a lot of movies but I am sure to get out when something great is at the theaters.
The Hangover rocks!! It is a must see.
ReplyDeletere: Vegas, I have never been, but I guess it all depends on what you are doing there and whether you are married or not (might not matter for some married guys).
GPS for running? What's that? ;)
My Garmin did the exact same thing a few days ago. I found a fix. Press the "Mode" and "Reset" buttons at the same time. Let go of those two buttons after 2 seconds and then pressing the power button the unit will turn back on.
ReplyDeleteMy came back to life with all data intact.
Dumprunnermatt - thanks. I lucked out that it came back to life after sitting in the cradle charger for 12 hours ...
ReplyDelete