Best news I heard all day. Congrats JP and Kat – and yes, FUCK CANCER. (sorry kids).
Slept in. I needed it. No AM run.
Good post on commitment by ChuckieV
10 miles on the mill at work. I hate these words when you are in a meeting: “why don’t we work through lunch. I can order pizza for everyone.” I want to scream, “no, why don’t we all take a damn break, get some exercise and hence be much more productive this afternoon?” But I don’t. Luckily today, we finished up a touch earlier than expected so I got to the mill. Turned this into a tempo run because I was ready to go after being caged all day. Did a 30+ minute tempo in the midst of the run, at 10k + 10-20 sec pace (this feels right – decent workout, nice stimulus, decent speed, not killer).
This guy wants it bad. Real bad. Say what you want, but the SOB ran 2:16. Stay tuned to the end of the video … and watch the third place guy close the gap pretty nicely. That and … a laurel wreath? Didn’t think any place other than Boston did that.
There is a snowshoe scene here in CO, but it is nothing like the number of races and the depth of the races they have in New England. I am just going to chalk that up to population density. JJ, by the way, is generally a good ambassador of the sport in the New England (even sporting the traditional accent), but he has taken to holding my racing flats hostage since I accidently left them in the back of his car post Mount Washington.
Relatively local 50k here in CO in June.
We had a clog in one of our pipes going to the street. Discovered this on New Year’s Day, and so toughed it out through the weekend rather than pay holiday fees. We still had water coming in, we just had issues getting water to go out. Let’s say it makes life interesting. Anyway, plumber showed up yesterday and snaked the pipes and all was good (165 bones later – well worth it). The cool thing is this: his plumber snake had a video camera so in addition to having the problem corrected, I now have a 38 minute DVD of video from inside the pipes – including the clearing of the blockages. Good stuff. Considering youtubing the good parts.
I think the Japanese guy was just running the last leg of an ekiden relay, so no 2:16. A few years ago there was a video of some Japanese natl champ at 5K and 10K making her marathon debut. The last mile or so was unreal, just completely collapsing a few times. Drew prob remembers her name and could pull it up.
ReplyDeleteI didn't do it, but a lot of times on buying houses now they recommend you have a plumber run the video cam like that through the lines to see if a giant tree root it splitting the pipe, etc.
We did not do that either (as part of the pre-inspection). I guess it makes sense given costs to rip up for street pipes can go in the 10k range versus the cost of maybe 150 bucks for such an inspection. Thankfully our blockage was not that - and it appears we do not have any tree damage.
ReplyDeleteI guess it makes sense that was an Ekiden. I thought about that but I thought maybe his teammates would be at the finish if it was.
No sash, not running in an Ekiden. He was winning the Hofu Yomiuri Marathon.
ReplyDeleteI thought most marathons of significance doled out laurel wreaths, a nod to Greek/Olympic tradition? I recall seeing winners from NYC and Chicago wearing them.
Might be that I just have not seen the wreath shots as of late. Good call on the show not being ekiden. Nice cross link (that I will add to my reading list)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joLh4HxBggs&feature=related
ReplyDeleteThere's the collapse video I was referring to. As I recall, it was a few years ago, female national record holder at 5K and 10K making her marathon debut. Went out well and then completely blew up...
Damn. That hurts. And I think I sort of run like that.
ReplyDeleteHelpful hint:
ReplyDelete>a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joLh4HxBggs< Link Name Here >/a< with brackets reversed will yield Link Name Here
Not as much collapsing as stumbling. I do not get it, she was wearing arm warmers. ;)