Good article on why you are not losing weight. There are a couple of dings for primal eating, which I raise an eyebrow at for the endurance athlete, but the messages in there are good. From Brett, a predictor calculator for how you will run-race if you lose weight (or gain it).
The oddities of the PHX masters marathon continue …
KZ is in middle school and has a home ec class. It is one of those classes that she takes for six weeks and then switches to something else (like wood shop). One of their tasks in this class was to make a french bread pizza. Sounds good, right? Sure. Except they are not allowed to cut the bread. The knife is too dangerous. They are not allowed to use the cheese grater to grate the cheese either. Yup. Might just get cut. And of course, they are not allowed to put the pizza (that they make with jarred sauce) into the oven. Yup. Burns. I am not sure if I should bemoan public education here or feel sorry for the teacher that is doing this (as the kids eat) (PS – our kids use knives, graters and ovens at home).
Interesting stuff on barefoot running from Mark P (yes, marathon world champ and dude that can seriously make you scream with PT)
Local tri guy champ, Matt Reed, interview (podcast)
No running today. It just worked out that way with other obligations I guess I could get out late tonight just to do it, but there are enough other good reasons for me not too … and today is a recovery day anyway (so you can reconcile any workout or not for any given day). Feel fine … just busy with a Pinewood Derby car, work, kids school conferences, middle school word problems, etc … and lacing them up at 9PM … eh.
Been listening to my local police radio in the background. Yeah. Old timer stuff. My father was a career firefighter and we used to have one of the crystal scanner radios (so the chip-crystal was placed into the radio by you as it was pretuned to the frequency) and we’d listen to local FD / PD calls all the time. It was one of those radios with the red lights on front, that spiraled up the dash across the ten buttons (for the ten frequencies) – with push buttons. I found a pic, and it looked almost exactly like this. As a kid I knew all the 10-x codes. And there was this hum of the static, and the someone mumbling the time in military time like every minute. Sort of nostalgic I guess. Also interesting to hear what the police are doing in your town, and sometimes a bit surprising.
That article has almost zero to do with a hard training athlete. Unless all the Kenyans, Ethiopians and top athletes in every sport in the world have it wrong.
ReplyDeleteThat was written for a sedentary person.
True, but I think there are lessons in there for the endurance folks too. A lot of endurance people (umm, self included) validate their eating via their training. So this hits on several things in there (will power, eating like crap, eating too much)
ReplyDeletehummmm... I wonder if the salt&vineger chips I just consumed at the lunch meeting table would be labeled *crap*
ReplyDeleteI just posted a blog entry with a link to time savings (or gain) versus weight.
ReplyDeleteIts good motivation to keep your weight down. I went through several iterations while eating a bag of potato chips.
Lessons for endurance folks who are in the 4th grade? Even a 4th grader can do simple addition and subtraction.
ReplyDeletei believe there are a lot of good things about the "primal" way of eating but there definitely needs to be changes if you are a serious athlete.
ReplyDeletei just had some metabolic testing done and it was very insightful as to what my body is burning at rest and at certain training intensities.
i am a fat burning machine! i know a lot of that has to with my training (a lot of aerobic riding) and some from my diet.
i just got bob seebohar's new book, "Metabolic Efficiency Training - Teaching the Body to Burn More Fat". very interesting stuff.
Lucho - yes! I see a lot of endurance athletes actually say "I train so I can eat like this." Not saying it is right - just saying I see it a lot.
ReplyDeleteYep- so do I! I really do think people over think their diet far more than is useful looking for ways to justify eating crap. The more simple the diet the better you will run. No trans fat and very little saturated. No HFCS. Don't over eat. Done.
ReplyDeleteThe true problem with weight loss is how people view food and their relationship with it. Obese people usually have psychological hangups that involve food. I look at food as nothing more than fuel. If I don't need to eat then I don't.
That is an incredibly developed view. Simple, but difficult.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the psychology ... it is pretty challenging there too ... most animals will eat too much as well.
From my understanding of it. Animals gorge themselves with the expectation that they don't when they get to eat again. A Cheetah may only get to eat once a week, so they stuff themselves. I think on paper the diet is the simplest of things. But execution is very hard particularly if the person's lifestyle and habits are poor. Sugar is also quite addictive. It doesn't help either that a majority of foods on shelves are not healthy. It comes down to reading labels and following the serving size measurements. Difficult but simple, like you said.
ReplyDeleteThe biggest issue I have with weight loss is excuses. If you like cookies and say "I don't care, I like them and will eat them" then I'm fine with such an honest answer. But people who say they don't have choices or say they don't overeat (but still miraculously break the 3rd law of thermodynamics) and still gain weight... that's where I jump off.
What if there were a 3rd Law of Thermodynamics police? I see a show like COPS. They bust down your door and are yelling "GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR $%^&HEAD! YOU BROKE THE THIRD LAW!!"
ReplyDeleteEither that or they would never do anything.
ReplyDeletelucho... "I look at food as nothing more than fuel. If I don't need to eat then I don't."
ReplyDeletehow does the whiskey and diet coke fall into the "need" category? haha...
If I remember correctly I hammered 18 miles at 9000+ft the next morning. I could argue that we all NEED to loosen up and have a cocktail from time to time! I'm going to drink my whiskey because I like it...
ReplyDeleteI would be interested to see some of your test data. Was your optimal fat burning intensity in the 1.9-2.1mmol of lactate range? That's where it should be for a runner but I assume you tested on the bike?
Well hells bells, a day off?
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS! Your body loves you now.
lucho... i will get you some of my data... but i didn't do blood, just the mask... and yes on the bike.
ReplyDeletei did a resting metabolic test which broke down how many cals i am burning at rest and % fat & cho. basically at rest (REE) i am burning 1586 cals/day and that's 73% lipid(fat) and 27% CHO.
i am still waiting on all the test data but i really didn't hit the cross over point (transition from fat burning to glycogen) until 162 bpm's and my LT was 165 during this test.
Hey, I took a couple off in the close of December as well.
ReplyDeleteI might need another day off to read the next post from Lucho though on JW's data.
TGP - salt and vinegar chips ... mmmm. Where was that stuff when we were kids?
ReplyDeletehmmmm, i'm not sure that i buy that marathon pace chart thing. it looks like i could gain well over a minute for every pound lost...or if GG gets down close to Tim's weight, he'll set a world record.
ReplyDeletep.s. i love cookies.
see.. thatz why Kerrie and I get along so damn well.
ReplyDeleteI have no doubt that if GG got down to that weight he'd either set a world record, or be dead or would kill someone.
ReplyDeleteAt some point any calculator is BS. But, I have heard 2 secs a mile a pound. Seems to make a bit of sense. Might actually be more than 2 sec on courses with a lot of vertical.
I can pass on cookies. Beer however ...
One of the biggest things I take away from that calculator is the benefit of a pacer (sherpa) in a 100 mile race. You figure Matt C carried how many extra pounds of Camelbak at Leadville? A full Camelbak weighs what... 4-5 pounds?
ReplyDeleteI have not read the rules on muling at Leadville. Can they carry your water? I know they cannot at WS100.
ReplyDeleteHow should I know? :) I'm about 71.3% sure I won't have a pacer anyway.
ReplyDelete