Tuesday, June 1, 2010

May wrap up and stuff

383 miles on the month, 1733 miles on the year over 253.25 hours.

Still – nothing for miles.  On the run on Round Mountain (which is a horrible name for such a wonderful mountain), we were kicking around the rumor that Kilian is doing 100k a day.  What?  That is over 400 miles a week.  Whatever-TF.

Tim Parr wins the Sage Burner 50k.  Ryan Haefer runs 31 and change at the BB10k – and Gates does 32 minutes there.  Which do you think is a better indicator for success at MW? (Hint – it is a trick question).

Looking to dig into this article on water … I think I have made the mistake of “flushing” water in the past (too often) by drinking a wee bit too much.

RCPM show from Sunday night in the springs is posted.

Summer is here.  It is officially unofficial.  It snowed here less than three weeks ago, but now, the days are warm, the fields are green and the mountains are still capped with snow.  I want to grab every single drop of the next 90 days, already slightly concerned it is slipping away.

I can honestly say I have no issues with having not run BolderBoulder this year.  In the past when I have skipped it, I have felt a bit of remorse, wishing I had.  None of that this year … not alone there either.  I just was not interested in running with 45000 other people, and really enjoyed doing the Round Mountain TT instead.  I fully expect to be asked in the coming days if I did it, or why I did not do it – oh, at least 20 times. 

I have been pretty content to let fitness come to me over the spring.  It has not come in huge leaps and bounds.  Yesterday, one of the guys claimed they were “leagues more fit” than they were last year.  My reply was that I might be a furlong further along than last year – and I see it in only in subtle ways at current.  I feel a mix of wanting to get down to business (harder work outs after a spring of general base building) and holding out a little longer and letting each day come as it may.

10 comments:

  1. I'm with you that it doesn't mean much, but FWIW, Gates went 32:02 at BB10K last year, 32:57 this year. Obviously he didn't do a R2R last year one week out though.

    Either way, Hafer is is better shape than I thought after his Cherry Creek Sneak 5M last month. I'd push Hafer above Parr now for Mt. Wash, both in the 10-15 place range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you on the run yesterday. Here is the link on Killian's 100k/day pyrenees run:

    http://trailrunningsoul.com/trs/2010/05/30/kilian-jornet-across-the-pyrenees/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+trailrunningsoul+(trailrunningSoul)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick - good to meet you as well. He apparently did 135km yesterday. Sheesh.

    Justin - you don't see Haefer or Parr making the team?

    I will go out on the arsehole limb here and say I'd rather not see anybody make the team that is also trying to be competitive at Pb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Hafer or Parr. I went with the vets for my pics -

    Gates, Gray, Blake, Byrne, Freudenberg, and Simon G. With Simon out, I'm not sure I'd give that spot too.

    After Boston and NF50, I started pushing Parr's stock down. Black Canyon and Sage Burner don't prove to me that he's back in 2009 shape yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Round Mountain is also known as Sheep Mountain - not much better.

    A furlong may not be as far as a league (3 miles), but it's still one eighth of a mile (I think). Still a good bump up in fitness, I'd say.

    Jury still out on Parr. He was strong climbing at Salida, and has semi-legitimate excuses for both Boston and NF, so I'm still pulling for him to represent and have a strong race on NH's big hill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheep Mountain? Crikey.

    Hard to read Parr. Certainly there will be 10-15 guys in the mix, and depending what kind of day they are having (or not) will determine if they are in it or not. And there will be at least 2 dark horses that sneak in there.

    Given Parr is expected to double PP, and do PB - and that has an impact at worlds ... well, you know how I feel about that.

    A league is two miles - I think. A furlong is 1/16th of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time I thought you were talking about PB 2009, but just in case you are not -

    Parr is not doing PB this year. It is the same weekend as Pikes, exact same, can't do both. He said in his RunColo iview that he wasn't doing 100s this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn it is bright out here.

    Okay - he is doubling and not doing PB. I just think his doing of Pb last year compromised his WMRT performance, and I think he admitted that.

    But, it is his (and anyone else's) trip.

    I see his chances of making the team as pretty damn high. But then I think he compromises his chances at MRT with the double.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn it is bright out here.

    Okay - he is doubling and not doing PB. I just think his doing of Pb last year compromised his WMRT performance, and I think he admitted that.

    But, it is his (and anyone else's) trip.

    I see his chances of making the team as pretty damn high. But then I think he compromises his chances at MRT with the double.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Similarly, I am constantly amazed at the amount of talent that more or less pours out of the woodwork on the Front Range (and from all over Colorado) to run BB. The draw is there for plenty who like to lay it on the line against the best runners in the state, including Gates and Cox. It is the best annual opportunity to run an incredibly competitive race while sleeping in one's own bed the night before for local competitive runners.

    However, it is definitely understandable that some have their own goals that are exclusive to that. Like pro runners who might be recovering from spring marathon efforts or are prepping for track nationals in a few weeks. It even hardly makes sense for many national class road racers to race a warm, hilly 10K at altitude rather than one at sea level in cooler conditions. So yeah, if the focus for the near future is more vertical stuff then BB might not be as pertinent as, say, the Teva Mountain Games.

    ReplyDelete