Good article on British legend runner who just passed away, Chris Chataway. The UK obit is good too … figure Brownie has to love this guy as he lit a cigar after setting the WR in the 5k.

Sad story … we recall reading last summer of how a guy went out for a jog and was shot by some teenagers who “were bored …” some of the details to that story here.
Had a conversation with one of the Scouts this weekend that is a freshman at the HS. I was asking him what his goals were for the season. He gave a time for the “two mile.” Of course, I raised an eyebrow and asked, “Two mile or 3200?” He looked at me confused and replied, “what’s the difference?” After taking in his confused look when I laughed and said “approximately 18 meters,” he got the old man speech. “Kid … when I was a kid, tracks were cinder dirt! (sometimes!) And 400 yards! (also sometimes!) And …”
I registered for XC cross today. I had to click a “read and accept” statement that said: “Athletes who participate in this competition are subject to drug testing performed by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) in accordance with the USADA Protocol for Olympic Movement Testing. The use of ALL dietary supplements is "at the athlete's own risk of committing a doping violation." Testing may take place at any time or after any round - preliminary, qualifying, or final - USADA typically selects place finishers and random athletes. Checking to see if the medication you take is allowed could be the difference between passing your test and serving a doping ban. A search on USADA's easy-to-use Drug Reference Online (www.globaldro.com) or a quick call to USADA's Drug Reference Line (1-800-233-0393) and following-up with any necessary forms is all it takes to pass with flying colors. The adjudication of anti-doping rule violations or refusals to test will be carried out by USADA. Athletes found to have committed a doping violation will be disciplined according to penalties specified by the World Anti-Doping Code and, if appropriate, applicable IAAF rules. Such penalties may result in a period of ineligibility as well as disqualification from the event.”
Anyway, reg is pretty light across almost all the races thus far. I expect that to light up a bit in the next couple of weeks. Team here is almost fully registered.
10 miles in the afternoon, easy to steady in 75 minutes.
You might want to rethink your team. I blew by Wes on the Falcon Trail today.
ReplyDeleteWhat? No comment on the cigar chewing WR setting Chataway?
DeleteI am willing to bet up a growler for each of the masters guys on our team that takes you on the community 4k AFTER the old man 8k.
Heck, you'll be drinking with us at my place afterwards anyway.
The cigar thing is pretty awesome. Can't imagine Rupp or Mo doing that. I'll be sure to light up when I beat you in the 4K.
Delete+1 to Tony's comment.
... he had absorbed 400 pounds of tobacco and 7,000-plus liters of wine ...
Delete... I am pretty certain he'd whip all these 365 beer guys by just doubling down on all of it.
Dude, come on, 440 yards, not 400 yards!
ReplyDeleteI am tempted to correct my error, but I will blame it on early senility.
DeleteI still have ribbons from running as a kid 440, 880, etc. Not sure which is funnier - the distance or ribbons.
ReplyDeleteNot that I have been in a position to earn it in a long time, but you rarely see the old school string to break the tape any more either.
Delete