Thursday, January 16, 2014

Time to check #1

So I wrote some goals, thoughts, aspirations, resolutions in a blah blah blawgh a few weeks ago.  It is about time to check in on how that is progressing.  I am going to take on the first half of that stuff here, and do the other stuff in a different post.  Overall, some progress.  Not great, but these were not absolute resolutions as much as currents that I am attempting to shift in my life.

Person - family:

- Raising voice with kids:I have not raised my voice with my kids.  There have been times when I wanted to for sure, but I just walked away.  No surprise, this is actually more impactful to them than raising my voice.  That might be because it is unexpected, or different than what they are use to – or because they want to engage in more of a head to head discussion than me turning it off.  In any case, I remain committed to this. – GRADE: B, making progress, need to remain committed and calm.

- Supportive of my wife:  there is nothing specifically measurable here that I can say I have improved or done to be less supportive.  Which means I am not be more supportive but basically the same level that I was.  GRADE:  D, need to improve

Person – self:
- be quiet more.  GRADE:  C, okay progress.  …  meh, I am more conscious of my rambling, but I sometimes let it go and just roll with it.  I do try to be more selective of my desire to be chatty, and curb it (with perhaps the exception of this blog)

- further explore concepts of self awareness, mindfulness of thought and action GRADE:  D, need to improve but some progress (as mentioned above) – nothing particularly educational pursued.   

- review progress – GRADE, well I guess a B. I guess I am starting here.  So, it is a start, but I need to continue monitor. 

Person – work:
- RAC pursuit – GRADE F, I guess I could give myself a bit of a pass in that work the first two weeks of the year has been crack full.

- maximize in the office GRADE B, I have been challenged and I can see where I want to go negative but have been a bit more conscious in focusing on what I can influence and manage and ignoring office noise.

Person – heath and diet:
- abstain from alcohol as much as possible.  GRADE D. I think I had at least a beer a day for 14 out of these first 17 days of the year.    
-
floss more  GRADE D – about the same as typical.  Which is not enough.
- average 300 push ups a week for the year.  GRADE B – I am a little behind on this on the year, but only because I am counting the first week of the year as a full week versus the number of days it was.  I am getting about 50 a day in on average.
…getting to the gym”  GRADE D – I had a good habit going before the holiday but lost a bit of momentum with the holiday and some work.
--  avoid “seconds” (or “thirds”) GRADE C –some curtailing, nothing great yet

3 comments:

  1. You are way too hard on yourself. Not even one beer average per day?

    But seriously, give yourself an "A" in something, such as... being too hard on yourself.

    Hope you won't "be quiet more" if it means no blogging. Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are improvement projects, so generally these are things that I am not doing well at naturally. There are probably some things in life I could give myself an A in ...but that is not really the point here.

      Delete
  2. In the spirit of transparency, I got this from Adam Carolla.

    ReplyDelete