This is pretty intense. Run a record and then do a killer workout. That is the life of the Rupps and Cains I guess. Certainly changes the mindset of what hard work is. The vid gives a bit of insight to some of Alberto’s approach as well.
Other big news is that Webb looks to retire. Well from running. He will go to tris.
Yup, we have a XC team.
At this point we are also expecting to add Dan Vega to the mix.
So when I started this, I would not have predicted that I would end up with a squad of masters guys who are predominantly known for being CRUD folks and being from the Springs. It will be fun for sure.
Heading to the east this weekend and thinking of doing this on Sunday. Looking around for something else in the CT central valley area on Saturday as well, but I have not found anything that quite works for me yet. I might join the Silk City Striders for a jog on Saturday. Looks like I better pack some colder weather gear.
Nice follow up on the health hazards of sitting for too long. Somewhat related, an article on the growing obesity problem in the US. I get my BMI measured in a couple of weeks as part of my corporate wellness program. I run for a variety of reasons, and somewhere down the list is health. Of course, that is a bit of two sided bladed because I know I have used running as an excuse to allow for other poor health choices. Listening to this EP had me chewing on that.
Fun read over on irunfar on aging as an athlete. Then there is this.
My push up project has revealed something that is ridiculously obvious: when you start to do something with consistency that you have not done much of you are likely to improve at it. Since the New Year, I have been getting to doing push ups. Not every day, but around 300 a week. Nothing grand. When I started, a set of 30 was enough to put a little burn in the chest. I can now do about twice that before I get to that. Duh. I am going to look to see if I can get this going with some unweighted goblin squats … I will look for 300 this week. Small steps to start.
Solid leg 5 minute workout from Carrie Tollefson. Might be one I put in the mix while in a hotel.
Afternoon, 10 miles with some tempo work in the middle on the Lake Link Trail. 2.6 each way with a bio break in the middle. About 6:30s (6:18 fastest, 6:48 slowest). Not great, but not bad for a tempo and it is rolling out there. Good sweat.
I ended up thinking about how I used to train and what I do now. Almost 15 years ago now it was often with people, and there was a locked in schedule of what was expected – often weeks or even months outlined in advance. Today nearly all my running is alone, and I have little idea as to what I am going to do that day until I get out the door. Neither alone is particularly bad, but running with people, particularly people who are also competitive minded will set up for some sessions where you are all putting the screws to each other. While that can run amuck to the point of running hard when you ought not to, there is a potential benefit – particularly if when you run alone a lot you end up in more of take it easy mentality. Same thing with the schedule really. If you have written down that you are going to do a half dozen kilo repeats at 5k pace a month ago, it is because there was some thought to that being necessary to progress forward. You are a bit less likely to abandon that. I realize such approaches can create a bit of overkill in running, but the opposite can end up driving … well, underkill I guess.
Webb is back, baby!
ReplyDeleteI think I recall hearing he was first a swimmer in HS. And as a 4:02 miler ... he could do well.
DeleteFollowed your USATF link, looks like that Cal Coast team must've just registered with 6.
ReplyDeleteYup. Good to start to see things filling out. With Cushing Murray and Magill they seem to have the favorite squad ... assuming those other guys are somewhat nearby.
DeleteCongrats on getting that team together. I ran with a few of them CRUDs this past weekend and they are some good peeps! You guys will rock it.
ReplyDeleteSuper croo of guys for sure. I figure it is always better to surround yourself with higher class guys. All boats rise in high tide.
DeleteJump to 8:30 in the Rupp video. That's where Salazar said Rupp was in 'significantly better' than 13:07 pace and their goal for the day was to just take a few seconds off without killing him and then make a training day of it.
ReplyDeleteThat is a freaking insane comment.
That workout alone would mess many folks up. Even without a 5k before it.
DeleteLooks like a great team! I'm hoping to make it out to watch, but if not, keep that kick going until after you cross the line.
ReplyDeleteKnowing that you have a team counting on you makes the grind to the finish all the more important!
Delete