Saturday, January 11, 2014

Saturday 011114

We had a day trip up to Fairplay today.  I thought I might get up early and get a run in down at the lower elevation before we headed up, but I slept in.  That choice was fairly well prescribed for me as closed Big Choice last night.  It was a good sleep though -- about 9 hours.

Once up in Park Co., I had a limited window of time for running (an hour).  With Fairplay at 10k feet, I can often end up slogging downhill miles at 9 or 10 minute pace.  Today I was surprised as they started coming sub 8.  Even though the route I chose to downtown was mostly downhill, it felt good. 

After 30 minutes and poking around at the frozen river, I started the climb back, mixing it as 3 minutes on, 2 minutes off.  Ah, there it is.  The altitude.  And suddenly there is little difference in the effort of easy and hard in terms of speed.

image

While in town I checked the Prunes gravesite Pack Burro Racing board and my name / Jack is still not up there from 2012, but neither is Hal from 2013 either.  It doesn’t matter but I can tell you when I was wrapping up that race in 2012, it was very clear that getting my name on that board was very much on my mind.

7.1 miles on the day.

2 comments:

  1. Holy crap, you closed down a bar? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was actually one of those now dime a dozen breweries. Their hours of business are a little more aligned to old man bed times.

      Delete