Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunday 011214

US did pretty good in cross yesterday. Have yet to get a solid set of Bandera results but gathering what I can via blogs.

So who has been stealing these road signs?

285 from / to Fairplay has days like this.

Scooter wraps up is CoTrail report.

AM – on a whim, I decided to join the BTC group run this AM.  I figured this would motivate me to be a bit more honest with the pace, and maybe even do a few more miles. 

As I left the house in Broomstock, it was 45, and not a lick of wind.  When I got to the start of the run in Boulder, a mere 15 miles away as the crow flies, winds were steady at 20+ mph, gusting to over 30, and with the occasional snow blowing off it.  It was one of those winds where you can hear the low moan or howl up high in the sky.

As we climbed up Bluestem, I was far behind the boys with the shaved legs, and equidistant ahead of the girls.  So sort of a group run. ;)  Pace was all over the place … over 10 min/mile on the uphill /upwind to the Mesa in the crunch of the ice and the snow, and sub seven on the down and roads.  12 miles.

Right hip, psoas, down into the hammy was crazy tight – a combination of some of the harder work I did this week, imbalances and a longer period in the car yesterday.

55.6 on the week – admittedly a number that bugs some part of me but I also know that just chasing 70 week over week is a problem for me.  This week’s work set up for lesser miles, but I tried to get after a few more quality workouts.  300 push ups this week.

In the late afternoon, got to the gym with TZ.  I managed some squats (on a smith machine, which I like as it forces me to be careful with my back), leg presses, curls, extensions and some weighted lunges.  Got some back and tri work too.

2 comments:

  1. Link to Bandera stuff goes to 420 sign.

    That wind has sucked lately. Was pretty whippy and cold on Green yesterday (not to mention it is an absolute skating rink out there).

    Why do runners shave legs? It is the norm in cycling, but is more practical with the higher speeds, road rash, etc.... Moving to running from cycling was a very welcome opportunity to stop after doing it for so many years. To each their own I guess, whatever makes you feel fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fixed the link: http://www.lizahoward.com/2014/01/bandera-100k-tale-50ks/ it is to Liza Howard's blog. Pretty impressive run by her.

      Ah, the wind. As Brandon said yesterday, it so often takes an otherwise perfect day and turns it to crap. I am off to NC for the week, so I am hoping the fan is turned off by the time I get back.

      Shaving of legs by runners ... ah, I guess it is something that is about looking fast. All the pro guys do it. I think they picked it up from cyclists. I have never done it. Too much work ... No biggie to me but it was sort of a crack up yesterday as to how I ended up between the crowd of faster leg shorn men and the women in their capri tights.

      I was of course in full length sweats.

      Delete