Thursday, May 1, 2014

Thursday 050114

Hey – it is May.  Got pushed into getting up earlier than I wanted as some alarm was going off on the street.  Stumbled out to the street and did some jogging, working through a stomach that had a bit too much steak and Beamish last night.  4.1 miles.   Butt hurts but not too bad for easy jogging. 

Cork wakes up later than other cities, or at least US cities.  Coffee shops don’t open until 7, which seems borderline criminal to me.

IMG_1602
Looking back down over Patrick’s Hill (+15% grade, the pic does not do it justice).IMG_1601

Strava Labs are doing some impressive things – including their heat map, and their flyby feature.

Lot of traffic as of late about the actual traffic in the Grand Canyon.  Apparently for some weekends in May (and probably October), hundreds of runners are passing through the Canyon now on the Kaibab – overwhelming the facilities down there at Phantom and causing other concerns with their footprint (physical, social, etc).

Pretty certain this is what is going on in my rear end.

Looking to catch up on this TED talk (David Epstein, author of The Sports Gene), this IM podcast (Noakes), and this CompetitorRadio ‘cast (Hall)

A recent race report from a 32 minute 10k master.

Interesting infographic on metabolism.

Good read on the old Bill Rodgers Running Center … no longer around.

Evening.  Various screwing around.  Taking a crack at St. Patrick’s Hill , jogging around while checking things out.  Not really in running gear.  6 miles.
Cool bug I saw … IMG_1603
Some protest by the Socialist party.  Lot of cops.  Decided not to hang for this.IMG_1605
Heineken brewery
IMG_1606IMG_1607
Cork can have charm …
IMG_1610
… except when it doesn’t.
IMG_1608

6 comments:

  1. Ahh the piriformis. Last time I had mine mad I was able to pin down what caused it pretty well. I was running in Hoka Bondis and downhills were killing me. It has something to do with the instability in the shoe and my desire to brake and not run fast on the downs due to mud, snow, rocks, etc. As I have gained experience, I have come to the conclusion that there are 2 "safe" speeds for downhilling...walking and flat out flying. Anything in between causes me to lean back slightly and the result is low back and piriformis pain. When my piriformis tightens, I get sciatica and entire-leg weakness. If I were running up Bear and Green, I would probably seek out the smoothest downhill like Ranger? or even Flag road, until that thing relents and you are strong enough for faster downhills on the tech stuff. Every spring, I go through a time when I am not strong enough for fast downhill. So, I think of it like intervals. I run the fast/proper speed, but as soon as I get fatigued and form suffers, I stop and walk. It is lame, but it works. I did this yesterday to survive a 4 mile paved drop.

    I think I 'll be around there at the beginning of next month. Wanna walk down a hill with me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think mine is a downhill thing ... this seemed to flare up more coming off the faster 200s I did last week, and then furthered when I did that Kosmin test with a coworker. In other words, near max flat efforts. But if you are out here, if it is a walk, a run or a game of checkers - I am in.

      Delete
  2. St. Patty's looks a bit like upper Ruxton. Shocking that you'd find fascination with it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I am fascinated with all things named Patrick.

      Delete
  3. I never get injured. Like as in not even little niggles.

    My inflexibility in my hips and hamstrings tipped over the edge after the Charleston Marathon in January and all the rubbing from the vice grip of that system gave me tendonitis where the hamstring connects to the pelvis. Trochanteric tendonitis or some crap the doctor said.

    It was a dull pain in my right butt cheek when I sat down and a weak stretching kind of pain at the butt and high hamstring when I tried to run.

    They put me on lots of stretches/physical therapy and that entire system has now loosened back up and is better. But the tendonitis won't let me shake it. I try to jog once a week (most recently yesterday), and have pretty bad soreness in that tendon again.

    A lot of stuff in this area of the body interconnects, and you do not want to be down from running for 3 months (how have I not killed myself yet?), so definitely err on the side of caution. Lots of stretches to the entire area - groin, hamstrings, quads, piriformis, abs, and so on.

    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this. I also know that I am enough of an "alcoholic" with my training that I need to change some behaviors ... but am unlikely to until I hit bottom.

      Delete