Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Wednesday 092414

Got this for some fall reading.

IMG_1983

I run for a variety of reasons, and no doubt - ego is one of them.  I see my ego step up when I get a notice from Strava about some obscure FKT somewhere.  I feel my ego do some mental calculus when considering if I would be beaten or if I could beat the kids I see race HS XC.  I look at race results and even though I did not run the race, I mentally slip myself into some place based on people I think I would beat to the line versus those who would get there before me.  My ego wanted my name on the board at Fairplay when racing with Jack.  And my ego wants that badge of saying “yeah, I did Pikes so many times, Leadville, etc.” 

There seems to be a tendency to look at ego like it is some sort of bad thing.  Sure.  It can be.  But generally I see it as a good thing.  It drives you to want to be something more than what you are.  Run or live long enough and you probably get vision into how putting too much stock in this with running may not be particularly healthy or smart.  But the opposite probably is worse.

Got this in the mail today. 

image

So my ego does want to do that again next year.

Looked to take advantage of Bob again this week by getting him to run in the hottest part of the day, in the least treed location I could find.  I figured this would put me at the advantage but I could tell even in the first mile of the warm up that my legs were still working through the load over the last couple of days.  We hit the climb over on Lac Amora.  I thought we’d manage five but it was one of those days where I was ready to be done after one.  No legs from the get go.  I managed to fake it through 2 with a bit of a push at the end, and then on the third, I just jumped on it from the get go, figuring I’d pop somewhere in there anyway. 

Bob had a good quip:  “you need to stop muscling up that hill and just dance up it.”  As I was rigging on the third, it was clear that I was just fighting myself with a longer less efficient gait versus rolling up the hill on a shorter quicker stride. 

I shuffled through a fourth.  4:11, 4:08, 4:07, 4:21 for these near kilometer sections (averaging 4% grade, but with a lot of flat in there)  but the Strava segments are all like 20 seconds faster as they start and finish shorter than what we ran.  10.2 miles on the day and I was tired. 

Sort of good that I am managing some of this stuff with the load but at some point if I want to maximize these days, I will need to manage the day(s) before a bit more effectively.  Or something like this.

Working on getting the band together for an AM run…

Trying to find a 100 that makes sense in the winter, sprint that won’t interfere with USATF XC or be too late … not sure if I will find one that fits that I am willing to travel to.  Might need to do a 100k instead.  Could be a trip to Collegiate Peaks again and maybe I will see if I can stay on the course this time.

18 comments:

  1. Ego can be important: being distinct from the masses, what can *I* do as a unique, possibly inspiring contribution? This is separate from a need for external validation, which is not a sustainable path to happiness.
    Lack of ego, at worst, can lead to apathy and sloth. At best, though, it leads to an incredible feeling of pathos and connectedness, which is well-studied in religion and philosophy. This should not be discounted as inferior.

    Most importantly: Quad Rock > Collegiate Peaks, although both are great.
    Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quad Rock - good recommendation.

      I am neither well studied or a guy who gets to what is at best.

      Delete
    2. Would love to see you and race you at QR! Lends itself well to some of your goals, I would think.

      Your reflectiveness and sharing is great!
      The mumbo-jumbo I posted is just to reiterate that there are different personality types out there, generally sort of Type A vs. Type B, just to disagree that lack of ego is 'worse'. It can be different at different parts of our lives and in different situations. And people can be (un)happy and (un)successful with both approaches. "Siddhartha" might be a good, quick read, as the protagonist goes through a complete cycle. Understanding that is helpful for understanding ourselves, as well as others, e.g., your daughter and some of the great things she gets out of running (great job!) without being obsessive nor seemingly having it come easy to her.

      Delete
    3. I read that some 20 plus years ago on a backpacking trip (shortly after going through the Old Testament actually). Would be worth revisiting - thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  2. Antelope Island 100 is in late March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also a possibility. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I would recommend it. Well organized, fairly moderate course difficulty, good trail surface. Biggest downside is just potentially the weather. It is also somewhat contrived with several out and backs and loops, but I don't think you care about that….

      Delete
    3. I don't seem to mind loops.

      Delete
    4. +1 on that race. I really like the setting even with the loop factor. Just cool to be out on the island. I'll be going back again for the 4th time.

      Delete
    5. Officially on the short list of things to be considered ...

      Delete
  3. http://www.aravaiparunning.com/desert-solstice/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw that. But I clearly am nowhere near that qualification standard. 15 hours for 100? I was not even within 40% of that.

      Delete
    2. They are trying to assemble a world-class field. Just tell them you are a world champion.

      Delete
    3. I am not sure I'd be allow to run that course with a burro though.

      Delete
  4. What Mike said. Plus, really need to get back up to FoCo some day.

    I've always thought that what most people mean by "ego" = a false or exaggerated impression of one's self, which is especially annoying when mixed with insecurity.

    On the other hand, if your self-assessment is accurate, why not run with it, so to speak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mike (and Nick and Wes and you) are much more thoughtful on these things than me. Which is probably obvious as my ego has to go and post this sort of blah blah blog every day. I do see where I cross an ego need, with external validation, and how that becomes sort of impression of myself. And I need to work on that to some degree to come to terms with that and balancing it.

      Delete
  5. 100k Next feb near malibu. I am thinking about doing it.
    http://sob5050.com/

    ReplyDelete