I was debating what kind of speed work to do today. I had it in my head for a bit that I would do my tempo run (7 miles) on the Davidson Mesa. Then I read of Lucho's workout today and got a bit of a wake up call.
I have lost a step in the last year. In focusing on mountain running I eschewed speed workouts. I knew I was doing this, and I'd actually verbalize it. But I failed to have the discipline to consistently get out of that rut and go to the track. I found a comfort in going to the hills and killing myself in getting up Green faster than I had before. So in becoming a better uphill runner, I got better at doing 10 minute miles up Ranger trail. This, obviously, however, does not make you better equipped to run five minute miles.
So, if you are preparing for Pikes - does that matter? I think eventually, you begin to loose that top end speed. And that lack of explosive strength and speed begins to translate into what you can do in the hill climbs. Let's face it ... 95% of the top guys at Pikes are not running 40 minute 10Ks. They are popping low 30s, or even sub 30.
The fact is, I need to do both. I need to hill climbs. I need to do track work. Actually, to be successful, you need to do that stuff and mileage, and long runs, and tempo runs. In another post, I will consider how I might just need to up the overall game on a daily basis. A review of the logs over the last couple of months reveals a lot: Easy runs every day don't translate into anything other than being able to do easy runs.
So, I jogged to Monarch track today, expecting to be humbled. I have not done any work at faster than five minute speed in probably at least four, maybe five months. I decided to follow Lucho's workout, but kept it to 5 x 200-200-400 with equal recovery jogs. This is a nice workout as each 200-200-400 with the recoveries is equivalent to one mile of running (with half of it at speed).
2.5 mile warm up: 18:40
200 - 37, r -70, 200 - 37, r - 74, 400 - 77, r - 2:26
200 - 36, r -70, 200 - 36, r - 89, 400 - 77, r - 2:43
200 - 37, r -83, 200 - 36, r - 87, 400 - 76, r - 2:43
200 - 36, r -83, 200 - 35, r - 1:48, 400 - 75, r - 2:53
200 - 37, r -90, 200 - 38, r - 2:00, 400 - 73, r - 2:76
Warm down (2.5 miles) 20:00
10 miles in 80 minutes.
In some regards, this workout is discouraging. I used to close workouts with 200's in 31 after doing miles at 5 minute pace. I am not there. In some regards, this workout is encouraging. I got out to the workout and worked through it. I need to do this, or a very similar workout each week. The top end speed will come again.
No comments:
Post a Comment