Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sunday, 12232007, 9 miles with track pickups, and the week in review

Got out mid day and jogged 2.5 over to Peak to Peak track. The wind was pretty good coming out of the west. I did 16 x 200s back curve to the finish with a 200 jog / walk. The 200s came in 36, worked down to 35 towards the end and 33+ on the finish. The wind was definitely a factor on the last 100, pushing me a bit out. Interestingly, the track was the nicest part of the run, as it was clear of all ice and snow - the stuff on the way there was pretty treacherous, compacted ice and snow.

Again, this is not super quick when compared to the workouts I used to do, but it represents improvement. I used to joke a bit last year that I'd be pressed to break five minutes for the mile ... this workout shows that joke was more reflective of reality than I'd like to admit. Getting out and working through this workout in the wind, the day after a tempo run ... was good. Certainly, I have work to do: I hope to do this workout as 800s rather than 200s by late spring.

I made a comment to Lucho earlier in the week that I am much more disciplined than I used to be. When I think about that, I am not sure that is true. While it is true I manage a greater amount of miles than I did ten years ago, these miles are slower. I think my discipline really came on Sundays though ... every week there with the BRR, we'd warm up to the Diagonal Highway and then ... you could almost here a gun start crack. We'd go tempo, no, we'd go hard for the next five k. I think it was that, and the consistent hammering on Tuesdays and Thursdays for track workouts that got me fit. It was the group thing, the hammering, that built in a discipline. I might be more individually disciplined now, but I need to dig back more into the group and consistent suffering to improve.

This was a fair week. I did not get a big run in but got in 2 tempos (20 minutes on Wednesday, the longer steady state on Saturday), a good interval workout (Monday's miles), a climb (Friday's Green and Tuesday's Sanitas), and some turnover (today's 200s) - and total of 70 miles on the week.
There are couple of races I am picking for January to get a new baseline, including the Oatmeal Fest 5K. There is a few hundred bucks in prize money on the line. This ought to bring out more than a good number of the locals. I certainly don't think I will be a contender for any of the money, but I do hope that it makes the competition richer and thicker, to help drag me along to a quicker than last time race time.
Speaking of oatmeal ... I had it for breakfast. I am trying (today I have been successful thus far) to avoid the ridiculous number of Christmas cookies that are here in our home.
Next week, I'd like to get a two hour run on the road that is building, another track workout like today (200, 200 400 for example), mile repeats again, and at least one climb run. That said, we will probably head to altitude (10K), so I will need to adjust ...

No comments:

Post a Comment