Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Wednesday, 12192007, Tempo (20 min), 9 miles, second run 4 miles

I met Lucho this AM.

We have exchanged some emails, and talked on the phone once, but this morning was the so-called blind date: we actually met for a run at 6AM. I guess it helps to go on a blind date when it is dark. The date went well: we share some stories about our athletic pasts, goals of the future, snippets about our families and the like. Tim is a likeable, knowledgeable guy.

And he is another one of those physiological freaks of nature who happens to live in Boulder. His PRs in 10K, the half, etc, - in a tri are far better than most people who run those events outright. But - he is humble. And that is understandable ... this guy, like most serious athletes, has pushed himself to the edge, and maybe even over that edge, and has really lived. But seeing that edge, it makes you realize your humanity. And I think that is why you don't see most endurance athletes hamming it up, talking smack (Aouita was a rare bird) ... because they know how fragile they actually are. And that while the edge might be in a different place for all of us, they understand the journey to that edge (how much it hurts ... regardless of the time).

But he is still another Godzilla out here on Monster Island. Just a real friendly, humble, likeable, knowledgeable Godzilla. And of course, confident because you know you can project laser beams from your eyes and fire breath on a moment's notice.

I had planned a half an hour tempo run this AM. I have been gearing into these sessions with the run building up. Of course, my stupid pride had me jump out from the get go with Tim (after an 11 minute warm up). Not smart. As Tim is about 3-4 minutes faster in a 10K then me right now, my tempo pace is Tim's everyday running pace. I cut the workout at 20 minutes (rather than the 30), because I set myself up early to be in over my head. It was probably just a hair over three miles. I have work to do. We warmed down for 32 minutes.

I was a bit embarrased that I was struggling to hold six minute pace (if that) for three miles but Lucho, of course, was all cool with it. I need this. I need to run with folks. I need to be pushed. I need the company. I feel lucky that there are so many King Kongs and Rodan's out here that happen to be nice people too.

9 miles, 63 minutes.
In the mid day, I got out for an additional easy four miles (30 minutes). I am a bit irked on how I did the tempo this AM ... it was almost a waste of a good physical workout because of how I approached it. I am thinking I might need to find a stretch on Friday where I get 200-200-400. In the absence of having a measured stretch, it might be best for me to find a good stretch of road where I go 40 seconds (to be sure of the 200) and 80 (to be sure of the 400) seconds with a jog back.

No comments:

Post a Comment