Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Monday 040108, 7 miles (3, 4)

AM) I felt good this morning, meaning I was feeling hardly anything in my lower abdominal area. I decided to do a light jog with Lucy. I jogged for about 25 minutes, really easy. In the latter 10 minutes or so I could feel some twinges in the lower ab area. So, while this thing is not cleared yet, the rest has definitely helped some.

Mid day) I agreed to join a co-worker for a mid day short run. I confess ... I was scared. Not scared of running, but scared that I'd find that I was still more jacked than not. And my head was yelling that message that Kerrie gave me yesterday. Nonethelesss, I got out with co-worker Steve M for a very easy half hour jog. I felt a little tight in the abdominal area in the second half of this run but nothing bad.

In the late afternoon, I got a massage. Ever notice how they play really soft music like ocean waves at massages? I wonder if it would be at all enjoyable to get a massage with some Pumpkins blarin? I mean, it sometimes feels like I am going to battle anyway ... nah, that probably would not work. It was a good massage (Jean P). Jean works me enough to make me wince and squirm but not to jack me up for days afterwards. She found some tightness in my adductors, but nothing really screwy.

So what does this all tell me? It tells me that I have healed a bit, but not completely. I am pretty sure I could not do any significant work at a hard pace without the abdominal thing coming into the play. I have a choice now: rest more - meaning no running and supplement with cross training or ... run through it. This is not as easy as a decision as I'd like to be. In any case, I am losing ground with where I wanted to be right now ... it is a question of how much and when I start back.

I have been having a mental personal debate to determine if a lay off would mean that I'd not race this summer. In other words, let's say the worst happens and I have to take off extended time to heal. Would I do Pikes? I know there are some guys that would not show up unless they bring their absolute A game. I respect that, and have at times, felt the same way about certain races.

I have decided that while this is a glitch in my training, I am going to go after stuff as much as I can in terms of races anyway. I understand that I may not be as prepared as I'd like to be. I think the regret I would have for not racing when I could, would be greater then getting in the ring and taken a swing, even if that is with interupted preparation. Bring it on.

... PM ... went out in the street and jumped rope for 10 minutes (jumped for longer than that to assure it was 10 of jumping and not just getting tangled up in the rope). This is tough to do. I wonder if I can get this up to half an hour? For giggles I wore my HR monitor. Ave was 145. High was 158. You make the call.

Even if I don't run, I want to get in at least an hour a day of something. 75 to 90 minutes would be better.

2 comments:

  1. for what it's worth I think you making the right decision. It's definitely a tough call but if you rest and it heals you will probably toe the line with better training under your belt than if you let it nag you though and affect your training.

    go padres! 2-0.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call George, let things heal up. You will still be able to get some great fitness and you will still dust me, so don't feel too bad ;).

    When I took a few months off last winter/spring, I was staying pretty fit on the bike and felt that once I got on my feet, I was not too far off the mark.

    ReplyDelete