My mental state was poor today ... I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that I have an abdominal issue that will require greater intervention ... as in I think this is a sports hernia that will require surgery at some point. And it was a busy day with the family, with stuff that just took energy. Mentally, I was waxed ... in a deficit mentality.
I needed a break, and I took it in with a run on the mill in the afternoon. As I have not had abdominal pain on uphill runs, I started the mill at 10% grade, and just started jogging. Every mile, I bumped it up .5%. It felt great. I was not killing this, but this is the happiest I think I have been on a treadmill in a long time. Time bound for some evening family activities, I got off at an hour (5.25 miles, at least 3000 feet). I put in another half an hour in the evening at 15 percent (2 miles, nearly 1600 feet). None of this hurt my ab / groin area AT ALL. I think this is because I only stress that area as I stride out and extend at faster paces (say sub 8, sub 7 is where it gets jacked). Of course, at higher grades, you run slower but you are still working! 90 minutes on the day.
Really, it felt great to run. My legs feel really good ... and it was nice to sweat and get a good nice burn in. Ahhhh. Exhale now...
Various tidbits:
- I attended Mike Sandrock's 50th birthday party today. "Rock," is the author of "Running With the Legends- Training and Racing Insights from 21 Great Runners" and "Running Tough." Sandrock started the non-profit group "Shoes for Africa," now called "One World Running." The all-volunteer organization ships shoes to needy youth and puts on races around the world. Details: www.oneworldrunning.com. I worked in the 90s with Rock at the Camera. He is genuinely an incredible man (and a damn good runner, even though his fastest days are past) We surprised him pretty good for his 50th! I will look to post some pix soon. Rock - I never knew you had done Pikes!
- Taco got a great write up in Westword.
No comments:
Post a Comment