Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thursday 041508, Sanitas x 2 (7 miles, 2600+ vertical)

The temptation for me to run is large. I saw Lucho and JK running this morning and I was incredibly jealous. But I need to stick to my plan of doing activities that do not aggravate my hernia - so that it has a chance to heal.

For what it is worth, I have actually been "resting" for two weeks, with a focus on "short carriage" work - the bike and the uphill running. And for what it is worth, that has been actually driving some degree of progress in healing ... although nominally. My debate on this whole thing really comes down to a question of discipline and patience (are discipline and patience the same thing?)I know I have waxed too long on this but ... this sports hernia thing simply puts a couple of objectives at odds for me. One objective is to completely heal. If it were September 1, I think I could do that more easily ... I'd take time off from everything, drink a few beers, go sit in the man cave and relax. But it is April 17. I want to play. So I get a bit conflicted on it all. And I am trying to walk this fine line of doing enough so that I can play, but not really jack myself.

Did a couple of laps on Sanitas, as it was the only thing clear and the Cub Scout den was going to be out there. I started up the west trail, realized I forgot my camera and so back tracked to the car. Did an easy (?) up (20:48) and down (13:53) with no sign of the den. Headed up the east trail and found them and so walked with them for a bit. Did a second loop (>23), and down (14:10). Easy but I am not in great Sanitas shape. I want to keep these efforts easy, but am begining to think about attempting couple where I push it.

Couple of pix ... Cub Scouts heading down the east trail, armed with various sticks they located. Flagstaff, Saddle Rock and Green in the background, looking south.


Looking south at Green from the Sanitas summit.

3 comments:

  1. so, your pt said "a month of doing these excercises and resting" and he thought you would see significant improvement. does this rest include sanitas, lol? how does the hernia feel on the way down? i would think that might be pretty jarring - is there any risk of 'tearing/damaging' it more or creating extra scar tissue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. kerrie took the words out of my keyboard... I know it's tough when the weather the sun is out and trails are calling...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep the effort down really easy, and the carriage small, purposefully focusing on that.

    ReplyDelete