Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday, 042708, Green Mountain, week in review

Got up early with Lucy and hit the trails.  I kept my promise not to run but hiking the trails up Green.  And I enforced this by wearing a P4270181backpack.  For some reason, when I wear a backpack, I can't really run.  It is like kryptonite or something.  And that was fine, as I only wanted to hike today anyway.  Wait, that is not true.  I really wanted to run in my heart, but my brain told me not to. 

We started out of the Gregory Canyon lot today.  I did this to short circuit the hike by about a half mile and to avoid the fox.  Generally I don't like parking up there because of the greater chance of break in.  We went up Gregory, then Ranger - as these are trails I can let Lucy run off leash.  I kept the movement for me honest - at that hiking pace that is uncomfortable.  In fact, it was at a pace where IP4270184'd probably expend less energy to go as fast if I were running.

I had brought my IPOD, but I did not listen to it.  Instead I elected to listen to the morning, then let my thoughts ramble and to listen to them to see where they were going.  They don't go anywhere particularly exciting, and in fact often end up in the same places over and over again.

Round trip was 80+ min, 48 up, 33 down.

Week overview ...

  • M - 75 mins biking outdoors
  • T - 60 mins biking outdoors
  • W - 80 mins biking outdoors
  • Th - 90 mins biking outdoors
  • F - 150 mins biking indoors, with 10 x 3 on, 2 off
  • Sa - 90 min biking outdoors
  • Su - 80 min hiking

625 minutes on the week, so about 10.5 hours.  I'd really like to believe that this "training" is highly effective stuff.  I know that it is better than nothing, of course.  But given the burn I was feeling in my quads today, I know it is a far cry from what I would need to be doing to be best prepared.  I am more positive about this than I have been however... I am not sure that comes across in the printed word, but it is the case. 

Also of note ... Pikes Ascent power houses, Andy Ames and Simon Gutierrez, showed early season strong form in Austin TX yesterday, running 32:46 and 31:41 respectively for 10K (landing 9th and 4th in the Masters 10K championships).

No comments:

Post a Comment