25 miles on the week, on 4 days of running and five runs. I did something "training wise" everyday this week though for at least an hour ... with the exception of Saturday. How's that for reconciliation? Hardly the week I wanted, but this is the hand I have been dealt.
Running this week ... while it was fun - particularly to get out with some great friends, - was not the brightest thing for me to do to heal up. Anyone who wagged their finger at me, ah well, you were right. I don't think I did any more damage to myself, but I did not allow myself to heal up ... which just further prevents me from digging back into serious training sooner. But it was fun to hit the hills a little bit again.
I am nearly healed up (I think), I just need to wrap it up over another couple of days and then ease back into training (so I can get back to doing silly stuff like this Red Rocks thing). So, I have resolved to take the time off to get this thing right now and just cross train in the interim. I am slow on the uptake but I am trainable. Well, I think I am. JV said I could bike every day for April and I'd still be fine for Pikes. I think he might be right.
I took Saturday off. Well I biked for five minutes and then I got a flat so I walked the bike home. (For the bike lovers out there I can't figure out why my wife's bike keeps getting flats right at the stem of the Presta valve ... maybe I need a new rim?) Sunday afternoon I ended up at the local Rec Center. I did 15 minutes on the elliptical trainer (an odd machine ...), 20 on a stationary bike, 20 minutes of various machine weight work (mostly low weight, mod reps), tried to figure what the hell to do on the stair stepper (!?!), and then got on the recumbent bike for 40 minutes. On the legs machines, I tried to keep the revs up (north of 90), which was not too hard. I was pressed to get the HR up but I was sweating pretty good anyway and my legs were getting a bit gummy. I tried to avoid running motions, and my groin felt fine.
I then decided to hit the pool and do some laps. Now, I am not a swimmer. I mean, got my life guard certification through the Red Cross a lifetime ago so I know how to swim to save myself. But that was a long time ago. I have read enough of the tri blogs that I had an idea as to what I ought to hit for a 100 split. I knew I had no hope of hitting that as a split mind you, but I had an idea.
Let's leave it at this: if I am dork and slow on the bike, I am about an anchor in the pool. And a dork too. I am sure a good deal of this is because I am out of practice (that link by the way is one of the best press conference ever) with swimming, and that my form sucks (I hear that is huge for swimmers). I think there was a lot of splashing, spluttering, and not a lot of forward motion
The guy in the lane next to me took full advantage ... waiting for me to start my lap so he could blow by me and be half way done with his next length by the time I finished one length. Whatever ... good work I guess ... particularly since I did not drown.
Lucho has, once again posted some thought provoking stuff. His comment I tend to enjoy the training far more than the racing so I feel that my success lies in the satisfaction of the journey resonates me deeply. I have much to say on these concepts ... more to come on that.
GZ-
ReplyDeleteI'm really not cycling these days so I can't really answer your question. But my avg. HR on the bike Sat. was 120. It was just to supplement a run later - I'm trying to increase my mileage, so with a little calf strain, I was just cross training.
I think I was told that the bike HR is generally 10-12 bpm lower than the run? Either way, it was a nice mellow but productive ride.
Get well.
not a bad week of training....for a triathlete!!!! no, seriously, i hope you give the injury time to heal, good job staying busy...james has recently had some new ideas about the stair stepper and cross training- hopefully he'll comment on that..
ReplyDeleteand as for my race- i DID race, but my team was in women 30-39 so that's where i ran-it was pretty fun...will post up the rr tomorrow. heal fast, b
well, i won't start with a told-you-so, but i do think you are being wise if you give yourself a chance to heal! you still have soooooo much time before your A race. however, i do think you need to figure out what kind of injury it is(bone vs. muscle) and know what stresses it. cross-training is great and will keep you aerobically fit and allow you to heal but if it is a muscle strain, things like the eliptical might strain it as well.
ReplyDeletenow for a fun injury story...as a frequent sufferer of stress fractures in my younger years, i was often forced to pool run...and i was so dedicated(lol, or bored) that i sometimes even did 'doubles' in the dive well. to make a long story short, i had to pool run for 6 weeks leading up to a big race, only running on land the week before AND i still managed to run sub 10:00 for a 3k. i think it would be safe to argue that it kept my speed up pretty well! however, only 'dorks' wear those blue, floaty running belts ;)
Matt ... curious, are you concerned about laying off the bike for a bit in your training?
ReplyDeleteBeth - saw the race report. Awesome job.
Kerrie ... I heard your voice (although I don't really remember the sound of your voice since we only ran together once) a lot telling me to back off and heal.
I have a PT appt next week to get this thing checked out a bit more. You (KW) have got another tough point with me ... doubles running in the pool? I think I'd rather punch myself in the face all day.
I felt no strain on the eliptical fwiw.