Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tuesday 110408, 11 miles with tempo

I was pressed for time and wanted a good measure of a tempo run so decided to use the mill at the office (very nice mill) and watch "American Idol: Presidential Election" on CNN on the screen.  I also did not want to travel to Bobolink trail or deal with running in darkness.

Warm up (2 miles), 7:32, 7:13 (14:45)
Tempo - (8 miles) 6:15, 6:08 (13:23), 6:04 (18:27), 6:00 (24:27) , 5:54 (30:21), 5:40 (36:01), 5:35 (41:36) , 5:25 (47:00)
Cool down (1 mile) 7:23

I should be happy as this demonstrates progress from an overall time perspective (when compared to this type of workout before) but ... well, I'd be more satisfied if it had been an effort outside.  I often feel this way with the mill.  I am glad to have it and leverage it as a tool, but I am also clear that it is different than outside running.  I think, once you get your head around the general boredom of it - it is easier.

That said, I tried to keep this as a general building run, looking to increase pace throughout.  All the miles were "comfortable" except the last where I began to push, particularly in the last half.  I don't have a lot of kick right now but that is okay in this workout.  I am glad I got the last three under 17 ... that is not indicative of a sub 17 5K (nothing really is until I do it) but it, again shows progress.

I am eyeballing a couple of race options for T-day.  There is a standard in Boulder (same course, years of data) but then there is a new 5K in Broomfield.  Leaning towards the Boulder course because of the history and I expect it to be richer in competition ... even though it is a tad slow of a course.  If I don't break 17 there, I will continue the pursuit but might add in a new angle or two.

Quads were a bit sore still at the start of this thing but loosened up once I got rolling.

11 miles just over 69 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. That's no ordinary tempo. They call that a predator run.

    Geez. Stay on the flats dude, so I have a chance on the slopes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt - your comment actually hits on a concept that I have been thinking about... a complete training package.

    I seem to have trouble getting it ALL in. And by all I mean effective turn over training on the flats, hill runs, long runs, speed work, moderately high mileage. This is part of the goal. I want to get to a place where I can train these in balance but I am not sure that is effective. I might be forced to attack different aspects at different times, with only minimal focus on those areas out of the "attack."

    Again ... treadmill. FWIW ... the treadmill totally sets you up for a "predator" run. You see your pace and ask ... "can I go faster?" Additionally, a trick I use on the mill is to up the pace to slightly faster and then back it off. So the stuff today at 5:40ish had some stuff in it at 5:30, but then got backed up with some stuff at 5:45. It is amazing how much slower and comfortable that pace feels after the faster stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude! It's a veggie filled fridge so I can keep in step with my 5-o-day blogger Nov.challenge. Join up!!!!! Too many chicks and no guys Booooooo. It's not a girly challenge, geesh.. I miss your 9 toe pix. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking of getting a treadmill. I don't think I can take another New England icy winter with a missed run because the wind chill won't let you stay outside for more than 15 mintues. ICK. Do you have any thoughts or advice in what to get? thanks in advance. Elaine
    edebitetto@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Job!!! under 6 minute miles on a treadmill is very good. I believe it's harder than running outside. Outside you can adjust your pace by feel. On the mill you have to keep the pace and don't get to catch your breath when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth G was getting freaked out by the nine toes, so it was a time for a change ... particularly since I have a really nasty looking left foot now as I lost my big toenail.

    Checking the spreadsheet now. I like the idea. I thought it was all for some post election party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words Brad. BTW - you have been putting in some consistent work.

    Trigirlpink - I'd like to hear if you think those compression socks really work. I am not convinced that socks and tights do much but it seems that most folks who have them are really advocates.

    In regards to a mill, I have a Life Fitness T5i. I got it from a running store that was going out of business so I got a REALLY good deal. It is hugely helpful when the weather is bad, particularly with ice, dark and wind. The T5i goes to 15% grade, and 12mph so it has way more than I can handle. My office has the T9i, which goes to a ridiculous 14mph (that is 4:16 mile pace!) and 15%. Its deck is very solid, wide and smooth, which I think is a key factor. They both have all sorts of other stuff I don't really use - like programs of routes, etc. Both also are Polar HR monitor ready so I can just put on the strap and they read it. So all that, I am generally an advocate of the Life Fitness mills ... I think the key factors are deck feel/handling, then grade, and speed ... of course, what you are willing to spend is key.

    A good number of the mills I have run on in hotels don't go above six minute mile pace, and so those won't work for me but they might for other folks.

    In any case, I will drop you a note with the email of a guy I know who sells this equipment. I am not sure if he sells cross country but he might be able to answer some of your questions if you want.

    ReplyDelete