Various musings ...
- At the risk of being political ... I voted for one of those other 14 candidates running for president. Some say I wasted my vote. I don't think so. In fact, if you voted for the two front runner candidates because you thought voting for one of the other candidates was a waste, then I could argue you wasted your vote on just voting for someone who would win, rather than who you thought was best for the job. But at least you voted ... and no vote is a waste.
- Cool contest by TriGirlPink
- Good podcast interview with Simon Lessing
- I have been checking out "Indulgence" the movie done about Anton K. It was lent to me by Justin M. Interesting. Definitely some footage that is inspiring from the view perspective. Not sure I would buy it but interesting. Perhaps the thing that struck me the most is that Anton seems to express this feeling of being misunderstood. I can kind of get that ... I think we all can. I have wondered what people behind blogs are really like. I mean I think I know who they are via their blogs, but I really don't - do I? Folks that I knew on blogs first, and then in person are always a bit different than what I thought. I guess the same would apply for me, Anton, whoever.
- I confess that seeing this though had me thinking about Leadville next year.
- Another recommendation for the treadmill ... put a fan in front of it.
- I have been dilligent in not partaking of any of the candy in the office as of late and THERE IS AN AMAZING AMOUNT OF IT. In one area, they have put up a sign that says, "Number of days we have emptied the pumpkin of candy." In front of this sign is one of those candy collecting pumpkins. Under the sign it says 3. That thing must hold a couple of pounds of candy. This is occurring all over the office ... it is kind of scary.
- I walk into the cafe today and expect to see CNN on. Or Fox. Or MSNBC. Nope ... the Food Channel.
- I was commenting in a previous post that I am reconsidering some of my training principles. I am trying to get to this place where I can do it all ... long runs, moderately high mileage, speed work, tempo runs, hill runs altitude runs, down hill running, technical trail work, races ... my brain tells me that I can't really do all of these at once, but my heart wants to get there. But what I am really reconsidering is how many of these I can effectively juggle at once. It seems that as I focus on one, another one begins to fall apart. It was clear to me that my focus on flat faster stuff as of recent began to adversely effect my ability to climb (I could feel it in my back on Saturday). It is like trying to chase 10 chickens ... you focus on one, and then the others get away. So then you focus on an other one and something else goes. As obvious as it sounds I think I need to be rotating the training to have a focus, that mixes it up. I will always have all aspects of the training there but I can't chase all the chickens at once.
Just maintain that "quiver" in the "backyard," so that a particular kind of running is always within reach. In other words, the consistency of any type of running will keep you only a short time (3 to 8 weeks?) from being really dialed in for the 5/10/24/50k, flat, or mountainous, whatever.
ReplyDeleteJust keep doing what you're doing.
You may already be there, but there is also good stuff in the "bonus material" section of the DVD.
ReplyDeleteI voted for Bob Barr, Libertarian.
ReplyDeleteI think you read one of my previous posts where I said true change will not come from either party in 2008. I firmly believe that...but of course just my opinion.
In my state, McCain won by 10 points, and in your state Obama won by close to 10 points...so technically any vote by you or me for any candidate whatsoever would have been lost.
I voted for the Democratic challenger in both my local House District race and for the Senate. Henry Brown and Lindsay Graham are two of the more liberal (liberal by definition, not liberal in the sense of political designation trying to offend) members out there. Henry Brown never met an earmark he didn't fall in love with. He spends hundreds of thousands of dollars each year in mailings back to constituents. Lindsay Graham is a frequent member of infamous groups like the 'Gang of 10' to craft legislation on things like amnesty for illegal aliens, etc. etc. They were both for that POS bailout package.
The Democrats were actually more conservative.
But alas, all 3 of those people lost, lol.
I, too, voted for a non-Republicrat presidential ticket. It is an unfortunate yet all-too-common perception that voting for anyone other than a likely winner is a "wasted vote." Everyone in the solidly blue or solidly red states who voted for the loser in that state could be considered a "wasted vote" in that it could have gone to an independent or 3rd party to help to open up political discourse on the national level to a greater diversity of voices. Voting for anyone who one does not really want in office and who does not represent what one truly wants for the country out of some fear for the likely alternative is what is really a "wasted vote." I vote my conscience, not out of fear, and encourage the same of anyone and everyone regardless of their stances on any other issues. As the great Jello Biafra puts it: "I would rather work or vote for something I want and not get it than work or vote for something I do not want and get it."
ReplyDeletei just wish that i could vote...and i also wish that i had a giant pumpkin filled with candy in my office(or anywhere for that matter).
ReplyDelete"Jello Biafra"
ReplyDeleteI swear one of the book CDs for my 6 year old has his voice on it. I kept waiting for him right in the middle of some big bad wolf schtik to blurt out something about fascism or government intoxication, lol.
I voted with Bret, aka for the candidate with the best mustache in the race! Really, that's how everyone should make their decision.
ReplyDeleteI'm a registered Libertarian, that normally votes GOP, but McCain lost any chance of receiving my vote after supporting the bailout, I mean rescue package.