We were up in Fairplay today. The gang drove up out of Alma and up Windy Ridge. In Windy Ridge, there are several bristlecone pines. Some of these are thought to be over a thousand years old.
From the shoulder of Bross, at treeline, looking back at Alma and Fairplay.
I ran easy behind the "sag wagon." Well, sort of easy. As easy as climbs like this up can be. At 11000 feet. So in other words, I was running slow but working. Fair climbing, high altitude,
with the road being mostly clear but some snow. All good. 8 miles, 64 minutes. Once we got up onto "Windy Ridge" it was VERY windy. I went from being warm and over dressed to cold and under dressed in about 100 yards. The wind was actually howling up here. I mean it was not just blowing hard but you'd periodically hear this high pitched moan in the sky. I told my kids it was a yeti in the distance.
In the actual distance ... Pikes Peak (so from a northwest perspective) ...
Week ... all singles. 567 minutes on the week, 72 miles. Again, a bit lower on the mileage than I like but considering I am not putting in a big run over the last two weeks (family obligations), that is not surprising. 1430 minutes on the month (about 24 hours), 175 miles. I am pretty certain that this is about the mileage I want to get on singles, but I can push it up with doubles (another 10-30).
M - 93 min, 11 miles, Eldo
T - 10 miles, int. work, 76 min
W - 12 miles, 90 minutes
Th - 8 miles, Green 88 min
Fr - 11 miles 69 min - tempo-ish
Sa - 12 miles, 86 min - pick ing up last mile
Su - 8 miles, 65 min, easy, high alt.
Fr - 11 miles 69 min - tempo-ish
Sa - 12 miles, 86 min - pick ing up last mile
Su - 8 miles, 65 min, easy, high alt.
Not sure how I am going to approach next week. Will depend on if we (JV and me) do R2R2R or not. JV and I talked about it tonight. There is definitely a HUGE allure to do this because of the total epic nature of it. That said, logistically it is a bit of a PITA. I am less concerned about running the thing than the 12 hour drive there and the 12 hour drive back. Additionally, there is certainly some guilt on my end ... I feel a bit over indulgent escaping for a weekend to go play in the G.C. when I could be doing something closer to home (like running all the Boulder Front Range Peaks from bottom to top) and still be with my family. Not to say not stinking up a car with Jeff. I think we are 50-50 on whether we do this next weekend or not. We will do it ... just not certain when yet. I admit, I am also, frankly scared of what it will be like to run 44 miles! And how much that will jack me up! It would be a whole new experience for me whenever we do it.
"Bross" means WIND in German.
ReplyDelete