- Got out today for the Sunshine Canyon Hill Climb. Again, I did not have high expectations of results here – but wanted to get in a good climbing effort, get my arse kicked some, take stock of where I am at and “blow out some rust.” In that regard, “mission accomplished.” I got bit, chewed up, spit out and ground up. :)
- Warmed up and felt a bit fatigued in the calves and ankles. Saw a good number of the typical folks, including Andy A (who would take second), Lucho, Travis Macy ( winner I heard), Anna P (who is beyond a bad ass in the world of mountain running), Lisa G, various other blog-o-sphere lurkers, trail and mountain runners, co-workers, and lots of other fit people. Saw Dave Mackey during the warm up – but he was not racing as he is readying for WS100. The whole scene was a second fiddle to the bike race that was also going on up the canyon. I watched the starts of these races with a bit of an awe – as I don’t know jack about cycling or racing (I can ride a bike to get to places but that is about it). Even the concept of a “neutral start” was foreign to me.
- Weather was perfect. The race field was small – maybe 80 people? I don’t know and results are not posted yet. We got out and I tried to take a little advantage of the downhill to get some momentum, and maybe shake out into feeling particularly stellar. A pack of ten still quickly separated and I was not in it. The slighter hills began about a quarter mile in and I tried to get into a groove. I could tell it was going to be, as I expected a grind and not a great one. I worked myself up to a guy in black who thought was Ted Kennedy and so I said “come on Ted.” He glanced at me with a weird look and I realized it was not Ted and he upped the pace. Oops. Sorry. He and I worked back and forth for a bit. I got a bit tired of the game and put in a quick surge to move ahead and take the inside track of the road. In retrospect, this is not the brightest thing in the first 1.5 miles of a near 10k race – particularly a hill climb where things are going to separate out anyway. He swung wide and drove past me and stayed there … for a long time.
- At two miles, where the grade steepened, I was not making great progress and a small parade of racers made their way past me, including Anna P (who led this parade). I tried to make some attempts at recovery in the flatter sections, but was not making up any places or ground. Again, just tried to focus on grinding up, keeping the groove – even though I knew this was a mediocre outing.
- The elevation charts don’t show it but there is some significant downhill sections in this race in the second half. Truly a key to this race is being able to run the ups, but then also transition the downhills into some quick stuff. “Teddy K” had bridged about 200 yards on me by four miles, but he started to come back a bit with some of the downs. In the last down, before the last three quarters of a mile up, I was able to come just about even with him. Got the kick in the pants motivation not to get passed going into the chute. Finished in 45:51 – probably 20th place.
- Seriously – I had been finished about a minute when Andy showed up and asked if I was ready to run down. I was MOST CERTAINLY WAS NOT but I did not want to get cold, and I knew Andy had already been waiting like five minutes. So we started – and holy crap we were moving. We spotted John Tribbia and Mike Selig up ahead – and put in this crazy ass surge to catch them. This was almost as hard as the race! The GPS said we were moving at 4:20 pace! John and Mike looked at as like we were insane (umm, yeah!) … still I guess good work to prep for the RT at PP.
- Andy showed me on the way down a few places where he does repeats to prep for Mt Washington, and some side roads. It was good to catch up with him. Once we got down, I changed into trainers and added on another very easy four miles.
- It was a good day. Good to get out there and get beat up a bit … it is humbling, motivating, inspiring, grounding … good stuff. I love it even when I don’t love the results.
- Soo … jog down, come by the start tent and ask if they have results up yet. Here’s the conversation. ME: “Hi, have you posted results yet?” RACE GUY WITH BRITISH-SOUTH AFRICAN-AUSSIE ACCENT (sorry, I am not smart enough to know the diff)” “Yes, I have them hear in my hand. I am using them to determine prize winners.” ME: “Oh, okay – well when you are done, can I look at them?” HIM: “What was your time? Maybe you won a prize.” ME: “Umm, well, I don’t think so … I’d be surprised if that was the case.” HIM: “what was your time?” ME: “oh … 45 minutes or so.” HIM (looking at the results) “Good, good … hold on, yup … well, hold on, well maybe … ah, sorry. No. No you did not win a prize. Better start training for next year chap.” ME: “” …. I mean, WTF was that? Better start training for next year chap? That was freaking brilliant!
- Lucho’s report … once I get results, I will post them up.
- 1.2 mile warm up (11 min), 5.8 mile race (46 min), 6 miles down the canyon (42 min), 4 miles after (35 minutes). 17 miles, 134 minutes. 2500+ of climbing.
- Results ….
Place Name Age Sex/Tot S Div/Tot Div Time Pace
===== =================== === ======== = ======== ========= ======= =====
1 MACY TRAVIS 26 1/49 M 1/27 M2039 39:37 6:50
2 AMES ANDY 46 2/49 M 1/19 M40+ 40:17 6:57
3 TRIBBIA JOHN 27 3/49 M 2/27 M2039 40:36 7:00
4 RUDOLPH JOHANNES 43 4/49 M 2/19 M40+ 40:57 7:04
5 SELIG MICHAEL 30 5/49 M 3/27 M2039 41:12 7:07
6 WAGGONER TIM 37 6/49 M 4/27 M2039 41:34 7:10
7 HOLA TIM 34 7/49 M 5/27 M2039 41:43 7:12
8 WILLIAMSON GEOFF 31 8/49 M 6/27 M2039 42:19 7:18
9 KOCHIK PHIL 27 9/49 M 7/27 M2039 43:29 7:30
10 RONNING BERNARD 23 10/49 M 8/27 M2039 43:39 7:32
11 SCOTT RYAN 19 11/49 M 1/3 M19&UNDER 43:45 7:33
12 PICHRTOVA ANNA 35 1/25 F 1/16 F2039 43:46 7:33
13 KOVACS JAMES 28 12/49 M 9/27 M2039 45:06 7:47
14 SALEEBY STEPHEN 34 13/49 M 10/27 M2039 45:15 7:48
15 RAMEY NICK 38 14/49 M 11/27 M2039 45:20 7:49
16 ANTONELLI FRANK 30 15/49 M 12/27 M2039 45:36 7:52
17 COLLINS ERIC 29 16/49 M 13/27 M2039 45:42 7:53
18 ZACK GEORGE 39 17/49 M 14/27 M2039 45:51 7:55
19 BEDFORD CHARLES 44 18/49 M 3/19 M40+ 45:59 7:56
20 SLATER TIMOTHY 26 19/49 M 15/27 M2039 46:55 8:06
21 KEHOE THOMAS 47 20/49 M 4/19 M40+ 47:02 8:07
22 LIMBERIS DEMETRIOS 23 21/49 M 16/27 M2039 47:16 8:09
23 CHAMBERLAIN STACEY 37 2/25 F 2/16 F2039 47:26 8:11
24 NABER GREG 43 22/49 M 5/19 M40+ 47:54 8:16
25 FAIRCHILD MELODY 35 3/25 F 3/16 F2039 48:08 8:18
26 KOSKI KRAIG 43 23/49 M 6/19 M40+ 48:45 8:25
27 DURRANT JESSICA 25 4/25 F 4/16 F2039 48:57 8:27
28 GOLDSMITH LISA 44 5/25 F 1/9 F40+ 49:03 8:28
29 KUSHNER ERICH 27 24/49 M 17/27 M2039 49:07 8:29
30 GARTSIDE STEPHEN 43 25/49 M 7/19 M40+ 49:17 8:30
Glad to see you get a race in and get back out there. Sounds like the race was pretty competitive for the small field.
ReplyDeleteMacy - Last year after he did so well at the Steamboat selection race that I looked him up to see who he was. Sounds like quite the badass - former CU runner now tearing up the adventure racing scene. I believe I'd read that he raced one on a team with Dave M.
Are you and Andy thinking of getting a team together for Mt. Wash? There are a few others you could pull on to the FF team depending on how many you needed - Tommy M of CoS, Lisa, Melody, Rickey...
GZ-- Good to see you. Let's run sometime. Come out to Golden if you get a chance. There are some real gems out here. Look me up on FB and we'll set something up. See you next time!
ReplyDeleteJustin - thanks. Yeah, been thinking that a bit more racing than I am doing (uhh, none) would be good. The good news is there lots of room for improvement. Andy and I have kicked a team around ... we have the USATF players with FF but there seems to be only slight interest.
ReplyDeleteRickey - good running today. You surged well - damn well! Hope to see you again soon. There are 21 Nick Ramey's at facebook ... hit me up at georgezack at [gmail] dot [com].