Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thursday 050709

  • I felt fine post my run yesterday.  About an hour afterwards, I was sitting in a meeting and just fell apart.  Dizzy, stomach sour, pale, sweating and feeling very weak.  I excused myself from the meeting, gathered myself for about 25 minutes and then made the ride home.I laid down for a bit, got some more fluids, and then got down some yogurt – and was fine.  For one hour I was a wreck.  And then timg032 otally fine.  I find it hard to believe this was caused from my run, because I felt fine after my run , ate and drank after my run as well.  So what gives?  Some quick bug?  Not going to “sweat” it too much but given the experience reminded me a bit of my collapse post the 07 marathon, I will give it a touch of thought.  I am wondering if I get some odd chemistry out of whack on occasion that causes this.
  • 100-0098_IMGI have been enjoying Justin's posts on his progression through running.  Magill has a great post today on what he hates about running.  Good stuff.  Helluva lot better than training log blogs.  I thought about doing a similar set of posts to Justin on my running at some point.  Mine is a lot more glamorous though ... late nights running through corn fields, conference meets under the lights, college years of playing ultimate rather than running competitively ... true barn burner stuff.

    There have been some questions about the length of my racing shorts.  Here is a shot of typical gear … I go pretty short.  It is just a  left over from what I grew up with.  When I was running in HS, Larry Bird (by the way, I love his multiple socks per foot too) and Magic Johnson were playing basketball with shorts of this length too.    We raced in shorts like that (and yeah, they were cotton and it hurt on the long runs).  It is a lot more about function than fashion.  That said, I know it freaks folks out – particularly my 11 year old daughter when she sees me running around the neighborhood in these shorts without a shirt either.   I ain’t running in a speedo, but it ain’t far off.  It has also been suggested that I shave my chest and legs … (one quote was “I don’t want to know the color of your pubes.”)  Again, that seems to be a bit generational to me.  If you were born before 1970, it seems you don’t shave and you go with the Selleck look.  Post that, then it seems you shave a lot.  image

  • Afternoon – warm, breezy.  Hit the Lake Link Trail.  Out and back twice, first was the warm up, last was the cool down, did a tempo in between, picking it up ala out and back on the second half (19:32, 18:15 on second lap).  It was not super fast, but it was work.   11 miles, 80 minutes.   

2 comments:

  1. Those are the shortest shorts I've ever seen! Did you race in a Speedo?!! I would think your just dealing with the tail end of the virus you've been fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JP = 2:50 man. NICE.

    Well, sometimes they are longer (header pic). Added some monologue to the post re: this topic.

    ReplyDelete