AM – mill, 4 miles. Started super slow (6mph) and easy and accelerated slowly to see when HR would hit 150. Takes me about five minutes to get HR to stabilize initially (warm up). Ended up be at 7.9-8.0 mph for a 150. Miles 3 and 4 came in 7:32 and 7:40. this is 1.5 percent. Just wanted to run easy because I felt a bit stiff to start. Nothing zippy, and the HR / pace is about what I would expect at this point. Need to test this outdoors to see if there is a difference at the same HR and pace (or vice versa). All If there is a significant diff outdoors, I might need to up the grade on the mill more for “equivalence.”
Meb … beautiful American story.
Tony hit 50000 miles …
I have thought about this in light of his entry. I started running when I was 8 - but there are no logs and I certainly was not doing 2000 mile years then. If I go conservative and guess that I was doing an average of 1500 miles a year starting in 83 (freshman in HS) through 96 - that gives me 21k. I think I can then go 2k from 96 to 2000 for another 8 (29k), and then 2.5k per year for the last 8. Gives me 49k. But it could be way off.
Steve Jones interview … hmm, it is probably me but I think I know who he is talking about when he says … So I say stick to your quality work -- speed, speed, speed. I had a guy call me up once and he told me he had been coached by all these fine coaches. He says, “I need to know how many miles I need to run so I can run faster than ever.” I told him, “You’re probably running more miles now than you have to.” It’s not about running 140 miles a week, it’s about pushing the envelope to get to the next level.
… a detail that bubbled up today (NOT going to do this):
Course: This year’s course starts and finishes in Belmar Park and … (snip) The meals this year are as follows:
1.) Simply Sloppy Joe's - 1 sloppy Joe and small can of coke – at main Pavillion in Belmar Park
2.) Virgilio’s Pizza – 1 Slice of Pizza + small drink
3.) **Chipotle - order of three tacos; must select 1 meat, 2 toppings, and 1 salsa
4.) Carl's Junior - 1 Chili Cheeseburger; drink is optional
5.) Panda Express – 1 Egg Roll + small drink
PM – 7 miles.
I know exactly. I have GPS data for every official mile I have ran. What's that say about how long I have been running? Except those times when my watch goes dead. I hate that!
ReplyDeleteSo how many would you guess?
ReplyDeleteGarmin says 5,914 miles. With almost 1/3 of those this year.
ReplyDeleteI don't have the miles totaled all that well, but since I started keeping track in 2004, I have roughly ~3,100,000 vertical. Wish I could come up with a lifetime total.
ReplyDeleteMatt Mahoney keeps a "million mile ultra" list on his website.
ReplyDeleteYou coming down to the nationally televised CRUD workout on Saturday?
Nah - two soccer games for the kiddos.
ReplyDeleteA couple running friends and I have found that the HR on the treadmill (1% incline) is about 5 beats lower for equivalent pace outside.
ReplyDeleteFive beats can be pretty significant.
ReplyDeleteLast year I was able to handle sub six minute pace on the mill at .5 to 1 percent for an hour (close to 11 miles an hour on occasion) but was only able to manage six minute miles for Bolder Boulder 10k.
Given the motion of the mill and the concept of just keeping up with it, I might need to even push it up to 2, 2.5 for "equivalence."
This year I have kicked it up to 1.5 at minimum. There might be an occasion where I drop it just for turn over.
GZ - Thanks for the link to the Steve Jones piece. I probably would have missed it. Here's my favorite part of that interview:
ReplyDelete**********************************
Others have said that you possess a unique mental outlook that may have been key to your great success as a runner. What kind of mental outlook do you suggest serious runners adopt before an important race?
I know what they are talking about. I’ve always been good about pulling the best out of myself in races, even when things hadn’t been going that well for me. It’s something you can’t coach. I mentioned earlier that my racing philosophy was instinctive, such as patience, and …it came from in there [points to midsection gut], not from there [points to head] or there [points to heart]. So it wasn’t that I was a better runner because I was faster or stronger, I just had something in me that never quit. [Although] you can’t coach that…I can explain it to people so that others can experiment with it. They too can get up and go for it….The training part is easy. It’s about putting your shoes on at the start line and being able to attack people who you know have trained longer, harder, and have faster times than you, but you still take them on.
**********************************
I am intrigued by the notion that sometimes the winner is not the best-trained runner, but the one that can endure the most physical and mental punishment.
JRP
JRP ... I certainly agree that mental strength is a huge part of the game ... I definitely have seen days where mentally I am much more willing to put my hand into the fire and eat that up versus other days where I go home whimpering.
ReplyDeleteAnd I have seen in many of the elite, a mental fortitude that is a bit scary - in fact at time bordering on what we might otherwise call OCD or some other behavior disorder.
But to your point ... it is why we play the game, eh?