One of those days … one of those days where you look at people and wonder, “what the **** are they thinking? Why can’t they see how stupid this is?” And then after about five minutes you realize they are looking at you and are probably thinking, “what the **** is he thinking? Why can’t he see how stupid he is?” And you go back and forth in wondering who is right in this. I find this very draining. And, of course, I realize there is no reason for that. Just crap I have made up really in my head. I could just let it go. I mean, I determine how much I care about that sort of stuff. Right?
There are some days I can break this pattern by getting out for a mid day run. Not today. So when the end of the day was reached – I was well fried. In the evening, I set up for a run. It was shaping up to be one of those recovery runs more for my head than anything else. As I set up TZ asked if I wanted to take JZ. I asked if he wanted to go and he was full on game for it. All those other thoughts immediately melted away. We ran in the dark under a rising moon, chatting about school, UFO’s, snow, whatever. He loves the headlamp.
11 miles, easy.
I'm a big fan of the Brooks night gear too.
ReplyDeleteBrooks'd up there ... shorts, top, shoes. FF hat.
ReplyDeleteNice work. Fitness shouldn't just be applied to the physical. You gained perspective by running with JZ, got "fitter," we might say, mentally/emotionally/etc.
ReplyDeleteGreat stuff.
You made your kid run 11 miles in the dark?
ReplyDeleteHe made me.
ReplyDeleteNah. He was good with about 2 miles. He asked if we could do more and I figured I better cut him off while he still wanted to do it.
awesome man... i was wondering the same thing as brandon... did he run 11 miles?
ReplyDeletehead lamps and running in the dark is definitely a good time.
So the eyes of rabbits at night reflect red with a headlamp. We were also discussing the concept of vampire rabbits.
ReplyDeleteSo JZ will be crewing for you on Saturday at the Challenge?
ReplyDeleteI will be out of town, so I think you should go - would be the blog post of the year. Get video.
Thankfully I have soccer games saving me from that insanity.
ReplyDeleteIs that a Speedo you're wearing?!! Take some fashion tips from your son and get some longer shorts, man!
ReplyDeleteAh, I have been wearing shorts like this since the early 80s. Works for me. I might go to the Speedo in my 50s though.
ReplyDeleteGeorge how old is JZ? When did you start going out on jogs with him?
ReplyDeleteI am trying to figure out the appropriate time to add a bit of jogging in with my boys (twin 7 year olds). Right now they are just starting to ride their bikes with me when I am running. Problem is that they now have 20inch mountain bikes with gears; i.e. I can't keep up!
JZ is 8. He has become more interested in the runs this past year ... although he had no interest in it over the summer (heat). Both my kids are still more apt to ride with me (like you) than run. JZ has definitely expressed more interest in night runs (this might be a tactic to delay bedtime however).
ReplyDeleteI think you can offer it anytime ... I just know that for me I am totally not in control of that part of the run. We might walk. We might stop and look at a cactus or a speck of something. Or he might sprint to outrun me. It could be 2 - 3 miles or it could be a quarter mile.
And this is all great for me. Because it is running for the sake of playing with each other more than anything else.
Race'em! I have been putting my kids in 0-1 mile races since they were 3. They love it. Most of the fun ones we do are in the spring.
ReplyDeleteWe actually talked about that when we ran the other night. He brought it up, so there is interest. Talked about a couple and he was not ready to commit.
ReplyDeleteSounds a bit familiar.