As I suspected, I felt great this AM. Rather than do a full fledged workout – given the strong possibility that I will race on Thursday, I elected to do “straights and curves.” We were back in town for a short period of time, so I jogged 2 miles over to BHS track, and then jogged a mile there. I then would accelerate the straights and float the curves. Did a mile of this, then an easy mile and then another mile of it. The straights and curves miles were in 6:18 and 6:11 respectively. Jogged home. 10 miles 75 minutes.
Fitzgerald, author of Brain Training for Runners, contemplates Jenny B’s very tough day at Nationals. I am not sure how / if the brain subconsciously calculates the remaining effort-time-distance in a race and then hence determines the amount of muscle activation – but I certainly have not studied this the way Ross-Tucker-Noakes-Fitzgerald have. I guess I am thinking about those events that run long: we have all heard of guys starting their kick a lap too early and holding on anyway.
In any case, very good read … and it sort of reinforces some thoughts I have had regarding expectations of races as of late … generally I have found that I perform much better when my expectations are low – and I far exceed what I expect. The inverse often (painfully) holds true: when I have high expectations, I often don’t meet them. But I don’t meet them by just a little. I implode. But I think my explanation for this is a little different: when my expectations are low, I start more conservatively. When expectations are high, I start way too fast. And then I fall apart.
Justin has a great wrap up of all the Thanksgiving day action in the area coming down.
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Tuesday 112409
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cool new header GZ - where were you running that day?
ReplyDeleteNear Como Colorado.
ReplyDeleteNothing like stating the obvious, but seems like a lot of domestic CO is sorta ideal (whatever that means) for running because you are FLAT or MOUNTAIN.
ReplyDeleteWe're pretty much everything in between.
Cool pic. and cool 10 miler.
So catch this ... this track actually has a hill in it. There is a +/-10 foot variation in in.
ReplyDelete