- Achilles ... still sore but slowly (very) getting better. Still gimping a bit when I walk. Icing it at night. I had contemplated taking the day off from running entirely to see if that would heal it up a bit but I decided I hit the mill instead. 3 miles in (mile 1 at 15%, mile 2 at 10%, half of mile 3 at 5%, then the last half back up at 15%) I decided that I was not doing anything that I was happy about - and certainly not helping my grizzle. I stepped off (40 minutes) and hit the stationary bike (which had NO strain on the Achilles) for an hour. I did it on "hill mode" so I was a bit wobbly legged when I came off. I might just take a few days off to see if I can get this piece of string strong again.
- sooo ... I have started trolling the entry list for Pikes Marathon (mens). Lots of names not there yet that I will expect to see ... Mackey, Boetcher, Carpenter, Mock, Parker, Voelkel, Hutchison. But a few names that pop out at me are Smiley, Erchinger, Vail, Feucht. S
ome thoughts on some of these folks in Justin's write up from last year ... of course, other competitive entries could come in too (folks like Skaggs were on the list then off the list last year)
- On the Ascent side (mens), also really early ... I expect Gutierrez, Parr, Batliner, Guijt, Ames, Romero, Kloser, Freudenberg, Tribbia, Crandall,to return from last year. Other folks to potentially watch Elliott (if he comes back!), Walsh, Valliere and I hear Matt Hill is in ...
- I have been listening to the Adam Corolla podcast during my runs as of late. Yesterday I was laughing so hard during it I nearly had to stop. Totally NOT WORK SAFE, and not one to share with the family. Crude and rude ...
Friday, March 13, 2009
Friday 031309 3 miles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
whoa dude.... I don't know if belong on that "short" list. Do they have oxygen tanks at the aid stations?
ReplyDeleteWell, yes, you are not proven on the mountain and I will take that into account. it is hard to determine how you will react to altitude. Still you have a decent half marathon time (73). If you go with Pikes Ascent being the same as your marathon time (and that is a very big if), then you are talking near 2:30. 2:30 is usually enough to get into the top ten (07 was the only exception I think).
ReplyDeleteAnd no 02 stations.
Yea James, respect the course and go by the feel in your heart and not pace and you'll be fine.
ReplyDeleteMy brother has a half marathon time 10 minutes slower than yours, lives at sea level, had NO incline work, and did a 3:30 Ascent.
Just looking at your blog real quick, I can imagine you have a much better endurance level than he, and a lot more experience with inclines (which does matter a ton in my opinion).
10 years ago Carpenter did a 1:05 1/2 marathon. Could he do that today? Probably not I guess. What could he do? I dunno. But he can do 2:10 Ascents.
I guess with all my ramblings what I'm trying to say (with my limited experience with this race) is that you have great potential...who knows, but you have great potential.
I'm betting you'll see Scott E. there and primed for a good one.
ReplyDeleteIsn't running up steep hills one of the biggest stresses on an Achilles? It causes it to stretch under load.
ReplyDeleteWell, I am backward on everything. :)
ReplyDeleteActually, I find that it is getting more harassed when it is shortened under load. On a mill at incline, it is not as bad as it remains extended for the most part.