- I had a bit of stiffness towards the top of the Achilles, the bottom of the calf / soleus. I think that is good news. I think when soreness, stiffness is "on the move" things are on the mend. That said, I decided to "baby" things a bit and run on the mill. 10 miles, 72 minutes, never faster than 6:4x per mile. The calf was stiff, sore and so it is still an issue but I think it is coming around. Ran with the home made wedge in the shoe again.
- A theme-thought that periodically rolls in my head is "are you doing everything you can to prepare?" Am I running enough miles? Am I running fast enough? Am I doing enough hills? Am I doing enough core work? Am I drinking enough water? Am I managing my diet effectively? Am I taking account of the big picture of where I want to be in 3 months, 6 months, etc? Yesterday's post by Lucho and subsequent commentary (as well as Magill's post) got me thinking about this "are you doing everything?" thing again. Inevitably, the answer for me is "no." When I talk to guys like Matt Carpenter, it seems his answer is closer to yes, but that might be my perception, maybe even idol-ization more than anything. I wonder if the journey in running for me is more about that - exploring the limits of my dedication, self control, discipline - and it just happens to be manifested in this gift of running rather than something else. This journey reveals to me, more times than I want to admit how weak I am - every time I get out of bed and don't want to run, every time I struggle in a workout, every time I have a seconds at a meal because it is just pleasurable to my mouth (taste), etc. It is reflected in my performance of course ... I think about how much I hide this lack of discipline in choices in statements like "well, I need to be balanced," and "all work and no play ..." I have seen those that can become overly disciplined, and it usually comes at a cost that is detrimental to other aspects of their life (but not always). Anyway ... just a thought.
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Wednesday 031809 10 miles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jerry Lynch has some good books that you might want to check out, particularly "The Way of the Champion" and "Running Within."
ReplyDeletehttp://www.wayofchampions.com/store-books.php
"Thinking Body, Dancing Mind" might be worth considering, as well.
Also, just saw this: http://emuss.blogspot.com/2009/03/what-makes-one-person-champion-and.html
ReplyDeleteAndrew - you are big on emuss ... I have not checked out that stuff but will ... I have Lynch's book "Running Within" ... I have actually been thinking of lending it to Lucho.
ReplyDeleteEmuss is (naturally) basketball-heavy, but there is something on there pretty much every day that is applicable to success in running, coaching, working, parenting, and many other areas. Emuss seems to be a perpetual reader and learner and he does a good job of highlighting positive leadership traits and constructive perspective. I like that he looks at successful people in all walks of life and helps to explain what drives their success.
ReplyDelete