- Great write up / interview with Pikes Ace Simon Gutierrez. Some highlights from this post:
- What's your training like? SG: Basically, ov
er the last 10-15 years, I have trained like a 10K runner. I average over a 100 miles a week.
- Can you give us a sample workout? SG: When training for the Mt. Washington Road Race [12% grade, 7.6 miles - Simon set the masters course record last year with his 61:34], I start in March training on the treadmill. I set it at 12 to 15% incline and run for 65 minutes, gradually increasing the pace to just under my threshold levels. By the last 20 minutes, my mind is questioning the reason why I put my body through this ridiculous grind! I do this once every 10 days to 2 weeks.
- Ascent start lists are yet to be defined but given that Simon has a 75% win
rate in the Ascent, he has to be considered a favorite.
- Winter Pikes trip by JV. Seems like the weather is nicer in March than it is in August. Go figure ... I still think JV is going to pop a damn good one down there this year.
- Another Ascent Ace is 63 days into 100 trips up Bear in 100 days ... it has been fun to watch that journey, and how his climb times are beginning drop. Love to see him return to the race this year.
- 9 miles easy, out along the dam for Standley Lake. 68 minutes.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Tuesday 030309 9 miles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
re: Scott Elliot...yea that was reeeally freaky seeing him beside the trail during the marathon last year. I totally did not recognize him at all. I was shocked to hear later it was in fact him and he was like 30 pounds up?
ReplyDeleteZach F of course was easy. All I had to ask as I went by was 'are you from Missouri' and if the answer is yes, then there you have it, lol.
Scott was at the top in the marathon ALL day last year, helping folks out. And the Ascent day too.
ReplyDeleteOK then the guy I saw past Cog was not Scott and I was given bad info. Good to know.
ReplyDeleteSimon's training sounds a little like Hang Nine. Git it, dog!
ReplyDelete