- Posts on stretching and warm ups as of late: Lucho, Magill - leading into Johnson (along with a video).
- The Achilles is getting better but slowly. I obviously jacked it more on Saturday than I care to admit. Funny thing is it was fine during the run ... it was the next day that I knew I was messed up. It is messed up still enough to effect my walk gait to where people at work notice and ask. Once I get running, it loosens up some and I am okay - but I am certainly not drilling it right now. It is actually not uncommon for folks to ask me what is wrong with me when I walk around the office. After hard workouts, when I sit at my desk, I tend to tighten up and it takes me a bit of walking to get back to normal. I am sure it only solidifies the thought in their minds that running is absolutely the worst thing for you.
- More from my favorite astrophysicist.
- Been reading the Lydiard redux "Healthy Intelligent Training." Very enjoyable. Good interview with the author here.
- KZ has decided her science fair experiment will be to determine how HR changes with changes to an incline on a treadmill. This ought to be interesting. Pretty cool though - as she is working through the definition of the variables she wants to keep constant, which she want to alter, and which she wants to measure.
- Update on marathon and ascent entry velocity: As of Noon MT on Marh 12, there are plenty of spots left in the Ascent Wave 1 and Wave 2. There are less than 5 spots left in the Marathon Field 1 and less than 25 in the Marathon Field 2. I
bet that Matt has a graph like this (as he does for the Barr Trail race) for all the races. And oh yeah, the BTMR is the best tune up race for Pikes. And it is a damn well run race.
- Got outside as the footing was good. 11 miles, 90 minutes, easy over at the Flatiron Vista.
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Thursday 031209 11 miles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i had somebody monday morning ask me if I was ok because they said "it looks like you are limping"... i get it pretty often...
ReplyDeletei wonder sometimes how "normal" people would react to the way "our" bodies feel (shelled, sore, tight, etc) on a regular basis. Could they handle it? Do our bodies feel worse than theirs even though are "in" shape and they are not?
just some thoughts.
Why don't you go see Plattjes for the achilles?
ReplyDeleteGZ and JW: When I was in college I used to lift weights pretty regularly. I was never huge, but weighed in at about 185 and could bench 225. Some days when I would leave the gym, I couldn't drive my car home because it was a standard transmission and my calves were too blown to push in the clutch. I often thought that if you ever wanted to beat up a gym rat, the best time would be right after they finished a tough session in the gym. I was strong but too fatigued at that point to do anything except fall over.
ReplyDeleteBut when that fatigue went away, it was business time!
Not sure that Plattjes could do much for me ... I have not explored it though ... I have just come accustomed to this flaring up like this periodically, and chalking it up to the well worn lawn mower line.
ReplyDeleteMaybe he could do something but then I debate the $, and I hear he is quite tough ... the entire Haglund's deformity I have back there is very sensitive. I really don't want anyone screwing around with it at all - particularly in a rough manner. Yeah - that might be ****y I know ... but generally I get through this stuff okay.
The Stick + frozen vegetables + elevating (put a box under the desk to prop feet up on?) = less expensive + kinder than Sensei Plaatjes. For the achilles sheath area, one thing I have taken to doing is wearing crew (aka long) socks, to keep it covered and better insulated during runs. It may look like I am running around in dress socks sometimes, yet as I petrify, er, age I know that it becomes more susceptible to irritation, especially through the winters here, and thus warrants greater preventative care.
ReplyDeleteMore on warming up and stretching.
ooh! are you the HR subject for TZs project? i hope so! if so, keep us posted!
ReplyDeleteDrew ... had the frozen veggies under the leg last night. It is getting better, albeit slowly.
ReplyDeleteBeth - KZ is probably going to have a few subjects. We did a quick test view on the mill the other day with me ... where my HR at 2.0mph and 15% grade was like 60. My son's (JZ) was 92. Of course he then cranked it up (speed) and we saw him "jogging" with a HR of 209!