Friday, May 24, 2013

Friday 052413

Holy crap.  XC Nats are coming back to Boulder!  While I suck in the mud, I am definitely interested.

Caught latest ATUC today … good stuff on HR in the heat (which I had to deal with later in the day).

Krar, sort of hard not to pick him at least as a podium finisher at WS given what he threw down in the ditch.  Yeah, we all know a 100 is much further, but would anyone be really surprised if he won it outright?  Plus he is one of a few number of runners that I know have dealt with a Haglund deformity (I got one).

I was pretty determined to finish the pool project before heading out to Ireland tomorrow.  Well maybe not finish it but get it up and going by today.  Started early over at Home Depot, getting one of those rent a trucks.  Then got it loaded with another ton and quarter of sand to finish out the leveling.
IMG_0717
Leveled it out and then threw down some really cheap carpet over the whole thing to further pad the bottom. IMG_0718
Couple of hours later
IMG_0722
IMG_0720
It is going to take a while to fill.
IMG_0721
JZ built the ladder.  Cool. Wait.  What is this?  Left over parts …
IMG_0719
Ummm.
Not done yet, but we essentially replaced one round deadly object in the back yard with another round deadly object.  The second shot shows the level of protest when I announced removal of the trampoline was about to start.
IMG_4127
IMG_4129 

To be fair, the tramp is still good.  The curtain and the net around it are a bit beat from 10 years of Colorado elements.  Side note -- I was able to transplant most of those raspberry vines in the front of the tramp.  They seem to have taken just fine.

Soooo …  by the time I got to run … I was pretty cooked.   When I woke up, I felt fine.  I even answered a mid morning email from “Luch” asking if I was sore.  I replied that I was in pretty good shape.  My hips were tight, but not bad.  However, after moving the sand, assembling the pool, etc – soreness slipped in.  The run on tap was to be easy, but it was the lower HR limit that I was concerned about (no lower than 140).  I had to nudge the pace above to comfortable in a few places to make this happen.  9.2 miles.

image

You can see “cardiac drift” with the blue line as reflected by pace.  Or it could be the slight uphill back.

The second run, as the sun was setting, was even more challenging to keep HR up.  Downs would have HR plummet.  And so pace would need to crank up.  But any little up and it was ready to go off the handle.  Pace is the blue line.

image 

I could feel the load today.  It felt good.

Core work:

6 comments:

  1. Wow -- fast progress.

    I'd advise against anyone walking on the rim of the pool, no matter how cool they think they are. I did that in high school at a friend's house, slipped, fell the wrong way and broke my wrist. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not so fast. It took a couple of weeks, but really most of it came in two days, with the moving of the sand and driving the rebar into the timbers.

      No walking on these edges. No way.

      Delete
  2. Always comforting to hear when others deal with issues that you have. I have a nasty Haglund's as well.

    Reminds me of when I was in high school and told that my feet were too flat to be a runner....then I heard that Seb Coe had low arches too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, eh Derrick? Mine is mostly from that lawn mower dance I did a few decades ago.

      Seb Coe. Yeah. That guy. I remember seeing pix of him doing hill repeats CARRYING a training partner piggy back style!

      Delete
  3. How did the delivery cost for the dirt compare with renting the HD truck and getting it yourself?

    Awesome that xc nats are coming back, I'll be there spectating for sure.

    Nice work on the pool, we will be over next week ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The HD truck cost me 38 for two hours. Delivery from Pioneer was 69 bucks minimum - regardless of the load size and even though I was still only 3 miles from their facility.

      So, I did the initial delivery from them, hoping 7.5 tons of sand would be adequate. I came up a bit short and needed more. I could have had them deliver it, but I saved 30 bucks by doing the HD truck on my own. Or I lost 40 bucks by mis-calculating the first time and not getting 9 tons.

      The drag with the HD truck is that they have a weight alarm. You can't load the bed more than 3k pounds (1.5 tons ... my load was 1.25 this go around).

      Had I been able to shuffle a bit faster I guess I could have used the truck in 75 minutes and get the truck cost down to 19 bucks.

      And I am eyeballing you for a grumpy old man XC team. Got to beat Gerald B.

      Delete