Week 3 begins. 13 to go. Diggin it. Mid day – 2 mile warm up, then 5 x 40” strides with 1’ to 2’ recovery. 6.2 miles. Legs were carrying a bit of 2 day fatigue from the Sunday effort.
Early evening – 4.1 miles. Sort of opened up inadvertently here but not pressing.
Remember when you first heard yourself on an answering machine and you cringed? I think as I have gotten older, I don’t even need the answering machine at times. I can hear myself speaking in the moment at times and I realize how goofy I sound. Somewhere in the middle of this interview, I got the idea that I sounded like a dweeb. Thanks to the Eric and Scott at Ultrarunner podcast for the opportunity given to me to extend my 15 minutes of fame, but … ugh hearing my own voice. Or maybe “uhh” or “umm” as I seem to say that A LOT. KZ listened to it a bit, and she laughed, “yeah, you do that when you are trying to sound all professional.” Great, when I try to sound professional. Great because that supposed strategy is not working.
Couple of things in response to some of the stuff they mentioned at the end: 1.) there is a 15 mile burro race in Fairplay, and I am pretty sure Leadville has a short course as well. 2.) yes, burros go to the bathroom while you are out there. It just happens and you avoid it. 3.) the Ascent is not nearly as punishing as the marathon.
Some BTR folks worked the Shadow Canyon section heading up SoBo Peak over the weekend in partnership with OSMP. Rumor has it that trail could open in July.
Listened to it on my run today. Great stuff!
ReplyDeleteBrownie - great stuff was you being up on Mosquito Pass when I got up there from the Fairplay race!
DeleteI got an email from them today and saw your name and was like, "Damn, GZ...." I will listen to it on my long ride tomorrow; I'm sure you weren't a dweeb - we are our own worse critics.
ReplyDeleteClassic response by the daughter!
Can you autograph my iPod?
Actually she thought my use of the word dweeb showed how old I was as well.
DeleteYou sounded great!
ReplyDeleteThanks Lize!
DeleteA good listen indeed!
ReplyDeleteThanks Justin!
DeleteIt was a very interesting and entertaining interview, you did a great job!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sara!
DeleteGeorge, after 2 years of doing this every week, I STILL hate the sound of my voice. Scotty's been in radio for a decade and feels the same. I think there's something inherent in humans that makes us like to talk, but hate to listen to us talk. Strange.
ReplyDeleteThanks again for the interview.
Eric - thanks again for the opportunity. Keep up the great stuff going at URP.
DeleteCongrats on the interview! Looking forward to giving it a listen. Anybody out there have a recommendation for a good Andriod app for this kind of stuff?
ReplyDeleteNot up on the android apps Chris. Sorry. Rob Timko might be in the know.
DeleteThanks for the kind words all.
ReplyDeleteIn any case, my daughter has now got me thinking about my umms. Rather than say umm last night, I'd pause specifically to not say it. She enjoyed this by filling the air space with an umm on my behalf. Dang teenagers.
I bookmarked the podcast at work and finally listened last night, and it was a good time. Well done. I'd picked up a little knowledge from the blog, but still learned some stuff anyway.
ReplyDeleteI would not go anywhere near Bullwinkle.
:) Thanks Jeff.
DeleteI popped open the link yesterday just to hear your recorded voice. :-> I ended up listening to the interview (even though I'm not a runner!). You sounded great. You've got a real talent for story-telling, written and verbal. It's what makes you so good at what you do professionally too. The best part of the interview was how completely engaged and amused the guy was in hearing you talk about the race... "You talk about this as if it's a completely normal thing to do" or something like that at one point. Hilarious. You crushed it. Congratulations.
ReplyDeleteLisa - I think you are too kind but thank you for the nice words.
DeleteI get a bit of amusement that many folks see this sort of thing as "out there." I mean, we are not that far in history from where folks did crazier stuff in the mountains, much more dangerous ... with burros.
You certainly represented the sport well. I'm betting a bunch of people checked it out with curiosity after the interview. Bet they invite you back.
DeleteGreat podcast GZ. Finally had a chance to listen to it today. Have always thought it would be great to have a beer or trail run with you, but that was the next best thing.
ReplyDeleteDerrick - we are gonna get that in sometime. It HAS to happen. Old guys rule.
DeleteForgot to mention...Loved the Jon Sinclair story. Who would have thought he was into Burro racing? Guy was an animal on the roads in the 80s.
DeleteI just got to bounce into Jon at the 5k I did at the Boulder Rez a few weeks ago. It was only like 2 minutes before the start, but I introduced myself to him quickly and told him about how he planted the seed in my head for burro racing all those years ago. He was there I think in a coaching capacity for one of his athletes. Best part, he wanted to know what races I had won and with what sort of times. It was a short conversation but fun.
DeleteVery cool. Hopefully your times compared favourably.
DeleteI did not get his time and it is not listed on the web. I will have to reach out to find out. Generally the times in the last few years have been slower for the win (5-5:30). Breaking 4 was a big deal for a bit, but that has not happened in a long time.
Delete