Saturday, May 25, 2013

Saturday 112613

Started with a jog with JZ and Lucy the dog to search for some geocaches.  This is a merit badge for Scouts that JZ has recently started.  This was his first geocache he found on his own, maybe 100 yards from our house.  He found another shortly afterwards.

IMG_0728IMG_0727IMG_0726IMG_0734 IMG_0732IMG_0733   

Interesting task for JZ.  He just wanted to LOOK for the geocache.  All that stuff about using tools like a map or a compass or a GPS on your phone … mmm, at least initially not so much.  He might be learning that they are easier to find if you use those tools. 

After this for a warm up, warmed up a bit more than then got to business.  Ugh.  On tap was 20 x 1 minute on, and 1 minute steady.  In and outs as I used to remember them by.  Prescribed was 5k pace on the minutes on, and marathon pace on the minutes off.  Fail.  Well not initially but as it progressed the off minutes fell apart.

image

This was hard.  I think it would be hard on fresh ready legs for me to hold 5:30 pace on the minutes and seven minute pace on the offs, but I like the idea of that challenge.  Frankly, I think it would be easier to hold the average of 6:15 in the middle outright for 40 minutes than the gear shifting that this requires but that is the challenge.

Later in the morning, JZ did his very local polar bear plunge.

Of course he did not let me off the hook.

And now … off to Cork!  Yeah, a couple of years ago, no one knew why my company had an office in Ireland.  Now many understand. 

IMG_0737

The dude abides.

Next two comments slip into a rare political commentary … you’ve been warned.

I guess my take on the tax thing … there is a lot of chatter as to whether Apple (or companies like mine) have paid their “fair share.”  So Apple pays 8 BILLION in taxes last year.  Calculate whatever percent you want from that, that is a lot of money.   I think the question really becomes a philosophical one:  do you think companies like Apple owe more because they benefit from roads, schools, etc provided by the government (which came from your tax) or if they already provide enough by way of being the company they are – and in addition creating tax revenue on the income of all their employees).   Related to this, is a question:  so inclined individuals and companies will  look to lessen their tax burden by taking their business elsewhere.  Ireland clearly looked to bring business to their island by making this tax approach a way for them to benefit (this tax loop hole probably creates about 100000 jobs in Ireland …which they benefit from via income tax).  Is the US interested in altering its tax structure to keep that tax revenue in the US?  In other words, are we willing to provide a tax rate to corporations that is significantly less than what our individual payers pay in?

Not easy.

BSA is apparently no longer Boy Scouts of America, but Boy Sodomizers of America.  Really?!

17 comments:

  1. My kids love geocaching for the hunt. I see it as a way to get them out in nature. You will need to visit my geocache, Pikes Peak Marathon, near the 16 Golden Stairs sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I am going to stop to look for it in August unless things are going poorly.

      Delete
  2. I wore my wetsuit in 58 degree water temps the other day and thought I was going to freeze to death; you guys are super brave.

    I'm way too impatient to do geocaching, I'm right up there with your son.

    Have a great trip to Cork, looking forward to your upcoming pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, it was not that cold. It was just a few minutes. :0

      Delete
  3. The Dude: we 'kids' watched The Big Lebowski with our 70-something parents last summer. That was interesting.

    I'm nearly incapable of avoiding a political row, therefore Apple, my take is: somebody show me an itemized list of all the awesome stuff Apple gets for its money, and we'll talk fairness. Until then, taxes are pretty much like getting robbed and having the robber bring you back a mystery bag of groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Is the US interested in altering its tax structure to keep that tax revenue in the US? In other words, are we willing to provide a tax rate to corporations that is significantly less than what our individual payers pay in?"
    And an additional option: Will the US create and enforce laws, and/or simplify the tax code, to prevent exotic tax evasion structures?

    I'm not sure what the *answer* is. I agree with Jeff that our tax structure and funded benefits are odd and arbitrary: when you figure in general funds, sales tax, property tax, use fees, vehicle reg and gas taxes -- nothing logically seems to fund the thing that it's supposed to, when things go into one big pot (and/or pay for past or future bonds: taxes aren't even temporally consistent!)

    But the *problem* is easier to define: a tax system that is so inconsistent and arbitrary that we waste billons and billions of dollars complying with it. I understand why companies and individuals spend time and money on exotic financial structures, but we should celebrate and most benefit from all of us (corporations included) spending most of our time and resources doing What We're Good At. Apple should be able to focus its talents of competitive advantage of making products people want. Unfortunately, those with that larger incomes (personal or corporation), then, can effectively pay the overhead of exotic tax evasion schemes that you and I cannot -- besides also having more lobbying power.

    Simplify, simplify, simplify!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally agree Mike. But I don't think we will see a simplification of the tax structure (there are too many financially invested in it being complicated) ... and even if it was for our country, the world have become a bit more flat (so it could still be something folks look to leverage internationally) - particularly with the distribution of wares that are soft.

      Delete
  6. I'm saving the GZ polar plunge video simple for the sounds to splice into a later video. gold. Wife overheard and said "Are you watching porn?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. 58 degrees? Not too bad by Hampton Beach NH standards, I remember ~60 seeming pretty tropical.

    Dutch Sandwich (in your wiki link), is that anything like a Dutch Oven or a Cleveland Steamer? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More seriously it describes how holding companies have the intellectual property of these big corporations, and then how that is licensed out to Ireland companies for distribution to achieve the lower tax rate.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, just goofing, listening to too much of the Aceman.

      Interesting read, I had no idea about any of that.

      Delete